How fit are you?

What do you do to keep in shape for diving?

• Daily aerobic exercise > 30 min

Votes: 26 13.5%
  • Daily aerobic exercise 20-30 min

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • Daily aerobic exercise 10-20 min

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3 to 5 days/week aerobic >30 min

Votes: 75 39.1%
  • 3 to 5 d/wk aerobic 20-30 min

Votes: 23 12.0%
  • 3 to 5 d/wk aerobic 10-20 min

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Mild aerobic >30 min daily

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Mild aerobic 10-20 min daily

Votes: 5 2.6%
  • Mild aerobic 3 to 5 days a week, > 30 min a day

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Mild aerobic 3 to 5 days a week 10-20 min a day

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • I don't exercise at all

Votes: 23 12.0%
  • I do very light exercise daily

Votes: 11 5.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

he is probably on enough steroids not to be healthy, as evidenced by his shrinking parts.

Carribeandiver:
why are your only choices aerobic exercise? is is out of the ordinary to work out at the gym, lifting, and then do 10-20 minutes cardio on an eliptical or stationary bike?

Same here, I don't do extensive cardio. I usually spend 50mins-1hr lifting weights and then only 10-15mins of interval type cardio 3-5x/week. I've read and been told by many that sustained long distance running isn't as beneficial for cardiovascular health as we may think.

And I don't think he could reach is tank valve if he wanted to...

catherine96821:
he is probably on enough steroids not to be healthy, as evidenced by his shrinking parts.

catherine96821:
yea, both. He likes to bike and lift and really wants my company. I like watching, but he makes me participate.

I must say...I have cleaned his diet up. He was running a tad high on his diastolic and the fish oil and garlic and co-Q-10 really made a difference (evidently).

Eating well is more fun together. Plus we find it fun to nag each other.
I really fall apart when he is gone.

he he...easy to rest on your laurels, I did that for ten years.

Green..your knees holding up on that eliptical? I need to lift, my deltoids have disappeared.

I find it much easier to use if I am standing on my feet rather than kneeling :wink: :rofl3:
Sorry, I could not resist. Knees are fine, it seems to bother my hips more than knees, especially if I am doing a lot of walking in addition to the eliptical.

Incredibly interesting question in my view. For about 20 (I am in my low 40's) years I have been under the impression that due to a heart condition (recurring pericarditis) that I could not dive. About a year ago, I had multiple discussions with Doctors and discovered that there really was nothing preventing it, other than a little high blood pressure and my weight of 279 pounds. For the last nine months, I have set myself a goal to loose enough weight and get "fit enough" to dive. I have lost 45 pounds, and have gone from barely being able to walk around the block, to excercising at a fairly high rate for at least an hour 3 to 5 times per week. At least 30 minutes of cardio on various machines, treadmill, bike, eliptical trainer and rowing machine. As well I have worked on my strength and flexibility. I am in the middle of my open water course and I can say that so far, all the work has been worth it. My blood pressure is now under control and I hope diabetes will stay at bay for many years. And of course hope to be diving for many years to come.

Congrats Kamfan.... what better motivation then to go swimming with the fishes. Now your gonna be great when you head off to some warm tropical beach and dive... WAY TO GO!!!:)

river_sand_bar:
catherine... how do you know it shrunk... ha ha ha... he could have been born that way.

I heard that can happen with cold water diving...so I am told...

Would this guy "pop" if you stuck a pin in him?

Congrats Kamfan

ditto. I think it is a shame so many people are put on beta blockers and not told how much power they have over their BP.

way to go...

well, I was just making the point that men on steroids shrink their parts. It is medically a known fact. I wonder why? Oh...maybe the testes go dormant? I don't know... Body builders can't get it up, I hear. So...everytime I see a picture like that, that's what I, and almost every woman out there with a clue, is thinking,
"yea, yea....BUT"

So..yes, it's disturbing.

better to be a lean, mean, machine.

catherine96821:
ditto. I think it is a shame so many people are put on beta blockers and not told how much power they have over their BP.

way to go...

well, I was just making the point that men on steroids shrink their parts. It is medically a known fact. I wonder why? Oh...maybe the testes go dormant? I don't know... Body builders can't get it up, I hear. So...everytime I see a picture like that, That's what I, and almost every woman out there with a clue, is thinking,
"yea, yea....BUT"

So..yes, it's disturbing.

Does "the part" shrink or does "the body" become so large that the part seems to shrink? Too bad, with all those steroids, there is no exercise for the ...... so it could keep up, so to speak, with the hypertrophy of the other muscles.

Back
Top Bottom