HOw good are the Dacor tigers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
New to the sport of scuba and am looking to buy a pair of fins and have no problem speending some money to get good equipment. Have been doing alot of reading on different fins but have not really came across much on these fins. My LDS instructor told me these were really good fins. Not sure if he just wants to seel them because of the price or if he was serious.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve Aaen

Can't offer a personal opinion as I love my Avanti X3s, but I know a couple of people who dive with Volos or Tigers.

They seem to like them, but say that they aren't too good when swimming against a fairly strong current.

As with anything, your best bet isto try and borrow a pait for a few dives.

HTH

Dom

i've got the volos and i love em. They are similar to the tigers, i heard they were basically the same, but dont know if that is true. I bought them before ever using anything else then had a chance to try out some old stiff fins, and i finally appreciated my volos

Had my Tigers about 3 years now. Love 'em!

They work well in a variety of temps & conditions: from warm salt to cold fresh... and everything in between. Good with different kicks as well.

JMHO,

~SubMariner~

the best fins for you depends on you. if you are looking to buy them from the shop where you took your class, they should let you try them out before you buy them. the bigger the fins, the harder it is to kick with them on and will tend to cramp your legs up more if you are a small person.

steve

I have the Dacor Black Tigers. (Rumor has it they area tad stiffer than the standard Tigers, but I can find no documentation to back this claim up) I assure you they are a top notch fin. Easy to get on and off and considering I have been doing a quite a bit of Spring Diving lately, I can assure you that they work well in a current. (try swimming up to the mouth of a spring against the flow and you'll know exactly what I mean). As far as cramping, I have'nt had any problems, in fact, I find that they fatigue my legs much less than the previous set of fins I was using. I am very satisfied with mine and at a cost of $135.00, I feel it was money well spent.

I think they might work better if they weren't broken in the middle. I always suggest divers get a moderately priced pair of paddle fins (stiff) and learn to use your feet. Then you're in a better position to know good from bad and even if you do end up buying one of the expensive "alternative" fins it'll be the cheap pair that sits on the shelf.

I think they might work better if they weren't broken in the middle.
:lol: LOL! Good one.

I always suggest divers get a moderately priced pair of paddle fins (stiff) and learn to use your feet. Then you're in a better position to know good from bad and even if you do end up buying one of the expensive "alternative" fins it'll be the cheap pair that sits on the shelf.

An excellent point. A diver needs a point of reference before h/s can really make an informed decision.

~SubMariner~

I have a pair of Tigers and I love how they work in the water. However, I've retired them.

Why? Because the gosh-dang fin straps keep breaking! I went through several straps in less than 80 dives. And guess what - you can't just buy another strap. You have to buy the strap complete with new clips, to the tune of $18 each at Diver's Direct.

My husband got a pair of Manta spring straps for his and continues to use them. I, stubborn as I am, bought a new pair of Tilos.

Has anybody else had this problem or am I death to fin straps?

PS - no problems with the Tilos straps yet!!

Sorry to hear you're having problems. Basically the ABS strap systems that the Tigers use are the same ones that Mares have had for YEARS. In all our time using Mares (Plana Avantis and Quattros) I think I can recall ONE strap breaking, that was it.

Meanwhile, I've not had a single Tiger strap break in the 3 years I've had the fins touching wood so as not to curse myself.

No offense, but I don't know what to say other than perhaps it's the way you are putting on the fins? You CAN overtighten the straps to the point where when you flip over the ABS cam there is way too much tension on them. :confused:

Meanwhile, I would go elsewhere for the straps. I get extras to put in our save-a-dive kit from our local LDS who does Mares. Perhaps they are salvaging them from returned Mares/Dacor fins? Don't know. All I know is that I don't have to buy the full ABS system just to get a strap.

DSDO,

~SubMariner~

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom