How is Playa DEl Carmen and Cozumel in September??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gordon,

Thanks for your input. The advice is well taken. Have you dived at both Playa as well as Cozumel? If so, your thoughts? Is it truly that more beautiful off Cozumel as it is off PDC? I'm interested in hearing from someone who has dived both locales.

Thanks,

Mark :)

M.A.Martin once bubbled...
Gordon,

Thanks for your input. The advice is well taken. Have you dived at both Playa as well as Cozumel? If so, your thoughts? Is it truly that more beautiful off Cozumel as it is off PDC? I'm interested in hearing from someone who has dived both locales.

No, sorry. I have been over near the Yucatan side of the channel fishing, though, and I have seen the water to be nearly always (if not always) significantly rougher over there than near the western shore of Cozumel.

I'm really happy to see this thread, because my husband and I are going to be in PDC from 9/27-10/8, and we're also trying to decide where to dive. We just got certified at the end of July, and we'll have a whopping 10 dives under our belts when we get down there. I've read some opinions that Coz might be too advanced for newbies, and then I've heard that PDC is rougher. I just keep wavering between the two, and can't seem to make up my mind, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread!

jaime once bubbled...
I'm really happy to see this thread, because my husband and I are going to be in PDC from 9/27-10/8, and we're also trying to decide where to dive. We just got certified at the end of July, and we'll have a whopping 10 dives under our belts when we get down there. I've read some opinions that Coz might be too advanced for newbies, and then I've heard that PDC is rougher. I just keep wavering between the two, and can't seem to make up my mind, so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread!
When my wife and I were first certified, and the ink on our cert forms not yet dry, we went diving at Cozumel. We had no probs whatsoever. One of the greatest things about Coz is that there is abundant diving there for folks with any and every experience level. Some of the diving there is too advanced for the newbie, 'tis true, but there is plenty that isn't. Don't worry, be happy.

Gordon,

Thanks again for the reply! I've read from a guest book entry at a web site for one of the dive operators that for a beginning diver, fresh off open water certification, that the underwater beauty and wildlife off PdC is quite spectacular. You're thoughts?

Mark

Jaime,

Check out padi.com for info on dive operators in Playa del Carmen. There are quite a few, but not all have their own web sites. I've gathered quite a bit of information by e-mailing people that have left messages in the web site guest books. Good luck, and let me know if you have any other questions. By the way, where are you staying while in PdC?

Mark

I was in Playa in September, in 1996. Seems like yesterday. Playa was still kind of quiet and charming then. Rain storms were very short and generally good weather although as pointed out, hurricanes are possible.

My vote for new divers would be either Playa or Cozumel would be a good choice, as long as you are with a reputable dive shop and good DM.

Mark,

We're staying at the Royal Hideaway. They've got a dive shop right there (Barracuda), but I haven't been able to find much feedback on it at all (one or two mentions, and that's it). So I'm thinking we might be better off going with another operator, so that we can be sure it's someone very reputable (especially since we're new at this) - thanks for the tip on Padi.com!!

Hopefully Hurricane Isabel doesn't take more of a southern turn, and doesn't come near PDC. We were there last year about a week after a hurricane hit, and they were still bailing sand out of one of their pools. They recovered fast, but I'd still like to see what it looks like without a hurricane having just whipped through...

Update - I just checked Padi.com, and finally found a website for Barracuda (I was spelling it wrong). It's actually between the Royal Hideaway & Allegro, and serves both. So - once again, thanks for the tip, Mark! I still don't know if we'll wind up doing our diving through them, but at least I found the website!!

M.A.Martin once bubbled...
Gordon,

Thanks again for the reply! I've read from a guest book entry at a web site for one of the dive operators that for a beginning diver, fresh off open water certification, that the underwater beauty and wildlife off PdC is quite spectacular. You're thoughts?

Mark

Sorry, I can't speak firsthand to that; I have many a dive under my belt at Cozumel, but none across the channel. Anything I could tell you would be hearsay, but that hearsay has been mostly to the effect that the diving at PdC is good, but Coz is better.

I also reiterate that there is no reason (IMO, of course) for newly certed divers to shy away from Cozumel.

As you're interested in hearing from someone who has dived both PDC & Coz, I've been diving both for over 20 years. IMHO, on balance Coz diving is far superior. If staying in PDC, be sure to do some cenote diving.

Be regards.

DocVikingo

PS: You should have seen PDC 20+ years ago. A mere fishing village, and even less developed than Coz & Coz had less than 8,000 inhabitants.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom