How is the diving in Koh Chang?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I know it's not supposed to be as good as on the Andaman coast, but does anyone know if it's still OK? What about the visibility and the marine life? Late January is the time of the year I had in mind.

I can give you a bit of background on Koh Chang. (But I can't help you with conditions in January specifically.)

I went there for a week in October and got five dives in and had a great time. (Find pictures and a dive report here.)

I currently do most of my diving in the gulf out of Pattaya. Other than the wrecks that are here, the diving in Koh Chang is definitely better. The vis was better and the abundance and diversity of marine life was better.

As for comparing it to Phuket and Krabi...I'd say you are right, the Andaman coast is better.

But I'd go back to Koh Chang for more diving if given the opportunity. It's also a neat island with some great spots for just regular sight seeing also.

Hope that helps.

Thank you very much for your trip report and photos. I'm glad that you had a great time. You confirm what I thought, diving is good or OK, but not great. From what I have read the visibility is better during December to March.

I my case, I will also have a non diver with me (husband), so the place we will go to, must be suitable for both. I'm a bit curious about Koh Chang, as we haven't been there before. Where did you stay? I also consider Koh Lanta or Ao Nang (been to Ao Nang but not Koh Lanta).

Well, thanks again. Will read your other reports also.

I have spent some time in Ko Chang as well. The diving is fun, but not anything to the level of the West Coast Thailand. The dives are shallow, the Viz is usually OK, and the dive sites are small.

Ko Chang is really a cool Island and good for a couple dives. But it isn't a place you could dive everyday for a long time. There is tons of Non Diver Activities there. And the sightseeing is great.

Ko Chang is a really good place to do OW Cert.

Thanks adamtodd!

Koh Chang sounds interesting, but like you say, maybe not for scuba diving. It was my brother with girlfriend that thought we should join them to Koh Chang instead, but I have pretty much ruled that out now. I think we'll go to Koh Lanta and Krabi instead. My husband don't dive, but luckily I'm the one that do the planning:D so I can chose places where there's good diving also.

Hi Maggy, still not decided??!! It's amazing how many boats we see from Lanta when we go out to our sites around Phi Phi and Shark Point. Check it out, but I think you can now fly directly into Krabi.

I think we'll go to Koh Lanta and Krabi instead...

You're probably best off with going to Krabi and staying in the Ao Nang area. Koh Lanta is a nice place but there isn't much to do for your husband besides beach-combing and then some more beach-combing.
Also, Koh Lanta's best dive destinations are far out at sea and you will be away for a full day when diving.
From Ao Nang you will be able to do local dive tours only 20-30 minutes away from shore with quite ok diving. You will also be able to dive all the major daytrip dive destinations including the ones you would be able to do in Koh Lanta.
Your husband will have a chance to do a variety of daytrips/tours in addition to some beach-combing. There's some nightlife, variety of restaurants and nearby shopping in Krabi Town.

Krabi is also much more scenic than Koh Lanta and has some incredible limestone caves, cliffs and rocky outcrops.

:D

Hi Katdiver! Nothing booked yet, but pretty sure that we will stay in Ao Nang at least one week and then maybe a few nights in Koh Lanta in the end of the stay. I am looking at flying to and/or from Krabi depending on the time table.

Bowmouth - thanks for your input. The thought of Koh Lanta was because we haven't been there before, but we might do the stay there shorter. I know that it's not as beautiful as Ao Nang. We've been to Ao Nang two times (1999 and 2001) and I love all the limestone cliffs and rocky islands. I was not a diver back then so it's going to be very exiting to do it now. My husband snorkels so maybe he can join some of the trips. I have only planned to do 2-3 dive days, as this would not be a dive trip only. Just as much an escape from our cold, dark weather at home.

...I've now got access to a speed boat for trips down to Hin Daeng...

Just out of curiosity Kat Diver,
How long does it take by speedboat from Ao Nang to get to Hin Daeng / Hin Muang and what is the retail price for a diver to join such a trip?
Also; how many dives at which sites are done at such trips?

Thanx,
:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom