How is your Milk Crate Setup / Tricked Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow! All I use a milk crate for is storing a lot of extra lead weights. I normally just use a five gallon plastic bucket for all my superfluous dive crap because they are round and don’t have a very big footprint.
You guys might be onto something here though.
Nothing I'm onto... just following the footsteps of those that have come before me!

Crazy timing on this post, I just set this up today:

View attachment 798085

Based on this video:

Cool, thanks!!

I dive NE.. I have come to love a good milk crate. Huge fan of the slightly longer rectangle shaped ones. I have some ideas how I would like to to incorporate some bungee for fins on the outside and someone mentioned "all thread" inside to clip everything to.. might do that.

Anyone else have any ideas? Anyone else have any aspirations to also own a tricked out milk crate and be the talk of the dive boat? Who knows, maybe you already are and you need to clue me on on your trade secrets!:)... would love to get some different ideas.

Ideally my end goal (that I sort of have now) is to have a crate for wet stuff on the bottom and one for dry stuff stack on top. Because I clip everything to the top I end up stacking wet stuff over dry stuff. I don't like it.

Thanks, happy diving!!!!

odd timing.. just pulled out my 2 and was tweaking them before some PSD dives today. Will post the finished product. I like the fin idea.

odd timing.. just pulled out my 2 and was tweaking them before some PSD dives today. Will post the finished product. I like the fin idea.
Awesome, thanks!

Appreciate everyone's responses.. just looking for some different ideas that maybe I'm too dense to think of on my own!

I'm out on a charter in NJ right now and my crate worked great. Every single person here also has a milk crate. I guess it's a north east thing...

Where do you get milk crates nowdays?

I went to Home Depot and bought some kitchen drawer handles (wider ones with two attachment points) and bolted those onto the inside of my crates. That gives me something to clips lights and computers onto. That helps keep them from getting mixed up in the booties, gloves, etc. since they are the last thing I put on. Here's a couple of tricks, first, look for a handle with a small, round shape. On the ones I have, the part of the handle that is designed for you to grab, has kind of a tall, thin shape. The height means that smaller bolt snaps can be hard to get off. Strangely, they'll often clip on easily, but then take a little wrangling to unclip.

Second, fins just get bungeed on top. I find that easier than trying to keep them attached to the sides. Fins on top often won't fit under the boat's bench, so I just take them off and slide them in beside the crate.

I typically use a two-crate setup. One's for all my wet crap. The other's for supplies. It works well for quarry diving, but on a boat, I switch to a Stahlsac mesh sack and just take what I need.

2023-08-19 17.00.21.jpg

I use a milk crate for all the things that require charging and zip tie a surge protector to the side with all the chargers in it. When I go to a sight or on a trip you only need to unplug one plug and pick up and go. When you get home you only need to plug one plug and it’s all charging at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_2706.jpeg
    IMG_2706.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 120
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom