How kick /swim / fin backwards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well I have heard folks say that they can reverse in splits... and I've heard folks say that it can't be done.

I can do it with splits (Apollos and Atomics) but it is not very efficient because as you move the fins back to load for the reverse kick the blades will split, push against the water and give you some forward momentum.

The best fin for precise maneuvering is a paddle fin such as the SP Jet or IDI Turtle. Precision trumps speed as far as I am concerned and traction in the water is necessary for precision. The reverse kick is great but being able to helicopter around the vertical axis without moving forward or backward is important too.

The good news is that paddle fins are cheap compare to splits. Get some and give them a try.

Uncle Pug:
Well I have heard folks say that they can reverse in splits...

yep I've heard that too

[I can do it with splits (Apollos and Atomics) but it is not very efficient because as you move the fins back to load for the reverse kick the blades will split, push against the water and give you some forward momentum.]

yep that's what I was thinking !

Thanks for the tips
Steve

Finning backwards? Once you've cut off a shark's fins, I don't think there's any way to put them back on. I think we should just encourage people to stop finning altogether.

try legs straight but apart, DO NOT BEND THE KNEES.

have the ankles ar right angles and move the fins in a circular sculling motion. If you go forward, reverse the direction of the circles.

practicing this while lying flat on the surface helps get the technique, then practice underwater.

The reverse frog kick needs the knees bent, and is like wiggling your ears.... you kinda go like this.......errrr....

watch the video if you can get the links to work.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom