How is your Milk Crate Setup / Tricked Out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Who said anything about large plastic bins?

Starting at post 3?

Yea this exactly.

Found this from a couple charters ago:View attachment 798740
If you look at the lower left you can see the orange crate tilted and slid out. Once you're done getting or dropping gear it just slides right into place with a little lip keeping it secure.
Haha, I see the reason for the crates now. They are to carry the big f knife...

Haha, I see the reason for the crates now. They are to carry the big f knife...
Haha yeah the knives that get slung around here are no joke. The monofilament is bad though, I recently hung up in some and had to deploy my own big f knife.

Starting at post 3?

Oh.. I see. I didn't view that as a "big plastic bin" (maybe the part with the wheels).

When you said big pastic bin I was thinking rubbermaid tubs or even roller suitcases which are too big imo.

@greeniguana there is a huge difference (as you can see in the pictures) between SW FL diving and NE diving. Heck I'd probably use a mesh bag in FL too, lol. We just have so much more crap to haul up here. Even people diving single tanks are scarce.

We use these:

View attachment 798069

They stack on each other, lock together, and you can get wheeled boxes for them too.

View attachment 798070

Great modular system. Lots of ways to rig anchor points in them too...
^ That a million times over.

Rigid crate is narrower than the standard milk crate. It is also a bit longer and goes nicely under a bench on a boat. Stacking capabilities are priceless too. While I use Milwaukee for my tools, Rigid is what I'll take diving.

I don't have a picture with me but if you cut the bottom of of one of the rectangle crates and then use heavy duty zip ties to attach it to the top of another crate you have a box that will hold everything but the tank. Just leave enough of the ridges on the bottom corners to keep it stable and remember to sand the cut areas.

Might give this a try for lake diving but wouldnt work on a boat obviously.

Got around to snapping pics of my setup. I haven't done anything yet. Yesterday's boat dive I tried to clip stuff to the front and slide it in but as soon as someone walked by and brushed it everything popped off.

I also completely forget to get any good pictures of other crates on the boat. Was an awesome dive / day. So great that pictures just slipped my mind.

These pics are just my crates in the van. Nothing special.

Attachments

• 20230826_090751.jpg
    20230826_090751.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 20230826_090807.jpg
    20230826_090807.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 120
I keep the junk that goes on my wrists, pockets and head in the bucket for my wife and I. Most boats are cool with it.

Mask, hood, drygloves, computers, etc.
The PVC end cap is a nice shelf for holding mask defog, talc, dryglove tubes, and some sunscreen.

If the bucket isn't empty when I gear up, I notice.

Attachments

• 16932381783225381133596843838736.jpg
    16932381783225381133596843838736.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 101
I like the PVC end cap idea--lots of little things that are easy to get lost in my crate. I'll probably opt for something squarish but definitely going to add something like that.

I keep the junk that goes on my wrists, pockets and head in the bucket for my wife and I. Most boats are cool with it.

Mask, hood, drygloves, computers, etc.
The PVC end cap is a nice shelf for holding mask defog, talc, dryglove tubes, and some sunscreen.

If the bucket isn't empty when I gear up, I notice.
Most boats would probably be ok with it, but not if everyone did it.. right?

It's awesome, just wouldn't work everywhere for everybody. I do like the PVC "bowl" though

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom