How long are your arms?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fishinfol145

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Maybe a crazy question, but how long are your strobe arms? I've been using a pair of 8" per side for a few years and thought that I wanted longer arms. So I bought two pairs of 12" per side. When I assembled the two 12" arms per side with the housing, it seemed overly large.

Is it just a mater of getting used to the long arms, or is it overkill?

What are your thoughts on strobe arm length

Whatever it takes to reduce back-scatter. The arms on my profile pic are 9" BigBlue floatation arms. In Saltwater, the entire setup is maybe an ounce or two positive. The tether and retractor make it slightly negative. Only drawback is I need to carry an extra light for taking a shot through small openings.

I have a 12" and 8" per side for a total of 20". I minimize backscatter by making sure the strobes are behind the arms and an equal distance apart as the port is from the subject.

LOL. I knew someone would take advantage of the tittle.

I'm packing for a trip now. I think that I'll take a pair of my old 8" sections along, just in case the two 12s prove to be too awkward.

Thanks all

Are you doing WA or macro? For macro, you don't need long arms. I think I have a 5" and 8" arm on each side.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom