How long does it take to drown?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seems like all this fear of drowning is actually a the fear of a few seconds of ... discomfort and panic.

Fear of the unknown and death is natural. Like Epictetus once said "It's not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of death or pain.".

I think fear of death is a GOOD thing. If you dont fear death youre lacking some basic instincts or they are supressed by serious mental issues, like bipolar disorder or something..
Exception being if youre terminally, painfully ill.

Hold your breath. Hold it some more. Hold it until your brain is screaming at you . . . that's what drowning is going to feel like. The body's highest imperative is moving that air in and out of those lungs, and suffocating or drowning is a horrible way to die.

This is an interesting discussion. What I would like to know though is does it hurt? if it all went wrong on a dive one day, and I ended up breathing in water at depth, can I look forward to a peaceful end or an agonizing one?

IIRC: when you try to inhale water it triggers a convulsive restriction in your throat---you don't necessarily get water in the lungs but suffocate in agony.

Its called a laryngospasm. To my knowledge it lasts around 40-60 seconds.

Its called a laryngospasm. To my knowledge it lasts around 40-60 seconds.

It happens to some and not others. It is why some drownings are 'dry'. Each drowning is a little different. Asking how long it takes to die from drowning is a little like asking how long it takes to bleed to death. You will get a range.

I can't think that drowning is pleasant, just go watch someone with an asthma attack or end-stage emphysema struggle to breathe. Not a pretty sight.

I plan on playing my cards so that I not only LIVE life, but live long enough to think that living forever (in whatever condition I'm in) is worse than dying a natural death.

Seems like too many variables at play. How much water was inhaled? If someone panics faster and inhales more water that would change the rate. If the person panics really fast... could blackout immediately I suppose. Either way, not a good deal.

IIRC: when you try to inhale water it triggers a convulsive restriction in your throat---you don't necessarily get water in the lungs but suffocate in agony.

I think for most victims, the drowning does end up 'wet', the throat relaxes and 'water breathing' follows.

---------- Post added August 26th, 2013 at 04:49 PM ----------

Just to be specific, I am not talking about surface drowning where a floating victim is splashing. The math there would be different. I was talking about underwater drowning where there is no way any air can go in and splashing does not add time to your demise.

Scuba drowning is especially creepy because of the anticipation of drowning if somehow trapped underwater, mentally preparing for the inevitanle, tryong to postpone the inevitable while watching one's SPG drop to zero PSI........

Scuba drowning is especially creepy because of the anticipation of drowning if somehow trapped underwater, mentally preparing for the inevitanle, tryong to postpone the inevitable while watching one's SPG drop to zero PSI........

that is the stuff of nightmares.

y'all can keep your wreck and cave diving; direct sunlight up in the warm water is plenty good enough for me!

Back
Top Bottom