How long does it take to get your C-card after certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JC Fedorczyk:
Is this something that gets handed to you when you pass or does it get sent to some corporate office for registration, etc? If things go well our OW certification will be completed June 26th and we are headed down to Myrtle beach for the 4th of July weekend to visit family. Wasn't sure if we would be able to go out and practice our new skills that next weekend, or if we had to wait for cards to arrive in the mail. Do I sound eager or what?

Thanks in advance
Depends if you paid by check, cash or credit card.

Seriously. PADI is 30 days to 3 months, SSI 3-4 weeks, NAUI 3 weeks. Temp card should be available immediately. Bring a business card of your shop when you travel (and your log with your instructor having signed off your training). This helps when far from home.

I got certified through SSI on May 22nd. Instructor issued a temp card that day and I picked up my official card today, June 8th at the LDS.

Total time 17 days.

mer:
Seriously. PADI is 30 days to 3 months
Your shop must not do online PIC's. Trust me it's 1-2 weeks that way.

mer:
Depends if you paid by check, cash or credit card.

Seriously. PADI is 30 days to 3 months, SSI 3-4 weeks, NAUI 3 weeks. Temp card should be available immediately. Bring a business card of your shop when you travel (and your log with your instructor having signed off your training). This helps when far from home.

What is your source for this information? With PADI as soon as a diver completes a course, the Instructor makes out a PIC envelope, which contains a temp card. That card is all they need to be able to dive until they get their permanent C-card. The part about the log book is good, though.

We usually have the student fill out their portion of the envelope; we fill out our portion, then hand it back to the student so they can go get pictures. Because PADI won't process the cert without them.

Frankly, the biggest delay in getting a cert card is the student not submitting it because they never get the photos taken!

Just to bump this thread a bit---Got certified June 1, 2004 (PADI OW). Mailed in PIC envelope w/ photo around June 5. My credit card got charged for a donation to Project Aware on June 16. I got a letter back from PADI (w/ PIC envelope, but no photo) around June 30, saying that I had not sent in a photo (incorrect, but no big deal, I don't mind printing another photo). Sent them the whole package again on July 2. Nada for more than 4 weeks. Called PADI around Aug. 15 asking "what's up?" They said they had no record of me whatsoever... Mailed them a photocopy of my temporary card, plus one more photo of me on Aug. 22; just received my OW card on Sep. 20.

The mailroom at PADI and the post office really like me :)

hdtran:
Just to bump this thread a bit---Got certified June 1, 2004 (PADI OW). Mailed in PIC envelope w/ photo around June 5. My credit card got charged for a donation to Project Aware on June 16. I got a letter back from PADI (w/ PIC envelope, but no photo) around June 30, saying that I had not sent in a photo (incorrect, but no big deal, I don't mind printing another photo). Sent them the whole package again on July 2. Nada for more than 4 weeks. Called PADI around Aug. 15 asking "what's up?" They said they had no record of me whatsoever... Mailed them a photocopy of my temporary card, plus one more photo of me on Aug. 22; just received my OW card on Sep. 20.

The mailroom at PADI and the post office really like me :)
I had something like that happen to me with my rescue class.... First PADI said they couldn't find me (AT ALL, even though I had gotten my other certifications within the same year) a week later called them back, they now have me, but now photo (PADI usually keeps your photo for one year) after many calls, some not so nice on my part, PADI finally sent me my rescue card..... YAY! then I notice I now have 666 as my last three numbers on the card (guess I ticked someone off) :laughing:

You'll be fine with your temp card. I took my ow temp card and had it laminated along with my instructor's business card (we were going to be diving out of the country and I wasn't sure exactly what to expect).. I had it, but not a single person ever even asked to see..

Congrats on your upcoming certification, but as stated before, make some easy dives, get a bit of water under your weight belt before going to exterme.. I wish you the best and safe diving...

Vickie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom