How long is Bali-Komodo crossing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big fish63

Contributor
Reaction score
How long does it take to get from Bali to Komodo by boat (roughly)?

If you have made this trip in first few weeks of July how was it?

it takes 2-3 days. depending where u wants to be in komodo. the weather is sunny, but windy. the wind picks up in july and august. the sail indonesia raillyis always in aug/september in indonesia, enough wind...

It looks to be about 280km and if it's one of those phinisi boats, I believe they cruise at about 8 knots so that's 35 hours of sailing if there are no stops. The rough waters past the island channels probably slow them down quite a bit. I also believe that boats that do that route will stop for dives along the way.

Mermaid liveaboard trip i have done 4 times does 16 hours first night to moyo island. Dive that area day 1. Then 8 hours crossing next night and 4 hours the next. Most of the boats that do bali to komodo do the same schedule as we see other boats sometimes.

We did this trip in early July a few years ago and it was ROUGH going out ( only in the channel ) and also coming back. I was sea sick even with a patch . I had to stay in a prone position until we got out of there. I learned from that so I got all of my gear packed up and ready to go in case I was sick again on the way back in. Guess what! I was! I can not remember the exact time it took. I know we sailed all night on the way back! We are doing Komodo again but this time we are flying over to Labuan Bajo to avoid that crossing!

We were lucky enough to have a pretty easy crossing in Jan. Moyo had some great coral gardens because local villages protect the reef. awesome spot, and some others along the way to get ready for real Komodo. I think not so many do the round trip anymore.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

We did hit heavy current coming back which slowed the Komodo Dancer to 4 knots.

On The Arenui it took us about 36 hours near the end of October, but the diving along the way was very interesting. Especially the dive site Hot Rocks.

We have also done Mermaid Bali to Bali Komodo LOB. The first part was 16 hours to Moyo Island and then about 8 hours and then another 4. However it was a fabulous journey, a little rocky for part of the first night but otherwise nothing that we couldn't cope with.

Back
Top Bottom