How many actually use diver buoy or surface marker buoy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I actually like that idea of attaching the flag to the SMB/DSMB. I wonder why they don't sell them this way?

Because they'd rather sell us a flag and float AND a SMB / DSMB then give us the best of both at a reasonable cost; IMO of course.

I think It's more that one is not "best" at doing both ... dragging a SMB as a dive flag float would probably prove that (not that i know that)

I think It's more that one is not "best" at doing both ... dragging a SMB as a dive flag float would probably prove that (not that i know that)

Well I know. That's why I don't drag it around. Read my post completely. I hate towing a float. While I'm diving the SMB/flag stays in my pocket until I think I need to deploy it. Towing is not possible it'll lay flat on the surface. For those that don't want to tow a float it is the "best".

It's not really an option for those places require a float ... glad I don't have to deal with it

Me too, RI law only requires a flag no mention of a float. I've never been approached in MA about a flag or the lack of one.

Me too, RI law only requires a flag no mention of a float. I've never been approached in MA about a flag or the lack of one.

Are you sure?
§ 46-22-24 Scuba divers, skin diving, or snorkeling – Warning flags. :: CHAPTER 46-22 Regulation of Boats :: Title 46 Waters and Navigation :: 2010 Rhode Island General Laws :: Rhode Island General Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Bolded by me... the flag shall be lit at night? :confused:
2010 Rhode Island Code
Title 46 Waters and Navigation
CHAPTER 46-22 Regulation of Boats
§ 46-22-24 Scuba divers, skin diving, or snorkeling – Warning flags.

§ 46-22-24 Scuba divers, skin diving, or snorkeling – Warning flags. – (a) Any person scuba diving, skin diving, or snorkeling in an area where power or motor boats are operated, shall place a warning flag on a buoy at a place of his or her submergence, the flag to be at least twelve by twelve inches (12" s 12") with a white stripe running from the diagonal corners which stripe shall be one quarter (1/4) as wide as the flag, or conspicuously flown upon a boat which he or she is then using in the area, in which case the flag shall be at least eighteen by eighteen inches (18" s 18") and with a white stripe running from one upper corner to a diagonal lower corner, which stripe shall be one quarter (1/4) as wide as the flag itself. The flag shall be in place only while diving operations are in progress and, during the hours between sunset and sunrise, this flag shall be illuminated by a light shining on the flag. Motorboats shall not be operated within fifty feet (50') of any flag as above described. No person shall be in violation of this section if he or she travels within fifty feet (50') of a scuba diver or snorkeler who is in fact obstructing navigation.

(b) Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00).
(c) However, any person using the above scuba diving, snorkel diving, or skin diving flag with the intention of obstructing navigation shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall also be subject to a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00).
History of Section.
(P.L. 1973, ch. 112, § 1; P.L. 1974, ch. 233, § 1; P.L. 1978, ch. 186, § 2.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

Are you sure?
§ 46-22-24 Scuba divers, skin diving, or snorkeling – Warning flags. :: CHAPTER 46-22 Regulation of Boats :: Title 46 Waters and Navigation :: 2010 Rhode Island General Laws :: Rhode Island General Laws :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

Bolded by me... the flag shall be lit at night? :confused:
2010 Rhode Island Code
Title 46 Waters and Navigation
CHAPTER 46-22 Regulation of Boats
§ 46-22-24 Scuba divers, skin diving, or snorkeling – Warning flags.

§ 46-22-24 Scuba divers, skin diving, or snorkeling – Warning flags. – (a) Any person scuba diving, skin diving, or snorkeling in an area where power or motor boats are operated, shall place a warning flag on a buoy at a place of his or her submergence, the flag to be at least twelve by twelve inches (12" s 12") with a white stripe running from the diagonal corners which stripe shall be one quarter (1/4) as wide as the flag, or conspicuously flown upon a boat which he or she is then using in the area, in which case the flag shall be at least eighteen by eighteen inches (18" s 18") and with a white stripe running from one upper corner to a diagonal lower corner, which stripe shall be one quarter (1/4) as wide as the flag itself. The flag shall be in place only while diving operations are in progress and, during the hours between sunset and sunrise, this flag shall be illuminated by a light shining on the flag. Motorboats shall not be operated within fifty feet (50') of any flag as above described. No person shall be in violation of this section if he or she travels within fifty feet (50') of a scuba diver or snorkeler who is in fact obstructing navigation.

(b) Any person violating the provisions of this section shall be deemed guilty of a misdemeanor and shall be subject to a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00).
(c) However, any person using the above scuba diving, snorkel diving, or skin diving flag with the intention of obstructing navigation shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and shall also be subject to a fine of not more than fifty dollars ($50.00).
History of Section.
(P.L. 1973, ch. 112, § 1; P.L. 1974, ch. 233, § 1; P.L. 1978, ch. 186, § 2.)

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Rhode Island may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.

Yep the word float is not there buoy is used. Why is a SMB not a buoy? I attach a chemlite to the flag at night.

Reactions: D_B
I have been diving for a year and a half now and I find it odd that I really don't see many divers using a dive buoy or surface marker buoy.

Divers who were certified years ago were never taught this concept in PADI. I have read in other threads that it was added more recently (last few years.) So older divers like me, unless we were determined to keep up on learning as opposed to just getting out and diving, were never stressed its importance.

If perhaps you have not felt the need to use a dive buoy and flag or deploy a surface marker tell us why you think it is not worth the effort.

IMO, a person reading all of the thread posts can get bombarded with how to best choose one; diving conditions, size, reel or spool? Ever go into a restaurant and get a menu with 100 items to choose from? Also if someone sold, and maybe they do, a one size fits all DSMB and spool together as a unit, maybe more divers would purchase it because of convenience.

Having said that, I do not currently have or use one, but definitely agree about its importance. I did 8 drift dives in Aruba where the DM left the divers, one day just my buddy and I, after about 20 minutes to go back and retrieve the boat to come pick us up where he figured we would come up. Other than that experience and a few shore dives where a SMB would be important (but I didn't use one), most of my dives would have me coming up by the boat or the DM using the DSMB.

Why is a SMB not a buoy? I attach a chemlite to the flag at night.

When we first started diving there was no SMB - only floats and flags - so I can imagine the statutes never caught up with the "newer" technology of SMB or DMSB... That is what I am thinking - but if your local area does not qualify it - I am all for it...

Dictionary.com - Buoy | Define Buoy at Dictionary.com

noun
1. Nautical. a distinctively shaped and marked float, sometimes carrying a signal or signals, anchored to mark a channel, anchorage, navigational hazard, etc., or to provide a mooring place away from the shore.
2. a life buoy.

verb (used with object)
3. to keep afloat or support by or as if by a life buoy; keep from sinking (often followed by up): The life jacket buoyed her up until help arrived.
4. Nautical. to mark with a buoy or buoys.
5. to sustain or encourage (often followed by up): Her courage was buoyed by the doctor's assurances.
verb (used without object)
6. to float or rise by reason of lightness.

Given the definition - I don't think of a buoy that is submerged and then pops up... :D

When we first started diving there was no SMB - only floats and flags - so I can imagine the statutes never caught up with the "newer" technology of SMB or DMSB... That is what I am thinking - but if your local area does not qualify it - I am all for it...

Dictionary.com - Buoy | Define Buoy at Dictionary.com

noun
1. Nautical. a distinctively shaped and marked float, sometimes carrying a signal or signals, anchored to mark a channel, anchorage, navigational hazard, etc., or to provide a mooring place away from the shore.
2. a life buoy.

verb (used with object)
3. to keep afloat or support by or as if by a life buoy; keep from sinking (often followed by up): The life jacket buoyed her up until help arrived.
4. Nautical. to mark with a buoy or buoys.
5. to sustain or encourage (often followed by up): Her courage was buoyed by the doctor's assurances.
verb (used without object)
6. to float or rise by reason of lightness.

Given the definition - I don't think of a buoy that is submerged and then pops up... :D

Is that what they mean? We need to drag a channel marker around with a dive flag on it? Haven't you ever seen a small marker buoy get dragged underwater by the current then pop up at slack? It must fit the law, if you read post 101 I think it is, I posted I've used it many times when DEM enforcement is checking divers for flags. They don't even give me a second look. Works every time it's tried. Instant dive flag just add air. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom