How many cylinders were used in your OW dives?

How many air cylinders were used to complete your Open Water Check-out dives?

• 1 Cylinder

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 2 Cylinders

Votes: 15 14.0%
  • 3 Cylinders

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 4 Cylinders

Votes: 64 59.8%
  • 5 Cylinders

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • 6 or more Cylinders

Votes: 11 10.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

4 dives, 4 cylinders etc as dmoore19, total bottom time for first 4 dives was 4hrs and 3 mins.

My instructor believed in actually mixing business with pleasure, so after the skills we went for a dive.

My experience was similar -The resort I did my OW at diddn't have a pool to use so for the "pool" sessions we walked 50m down the beach from the dive shop into the shallow "end" of the lagoon which was 1.5m deep flat sandy bottom When practicing the "deep" bit of the pool session we moved out 50m and there was a good sized raft in 3.0m of water.
For my OW four dives we went to a different dive site each time and we rolled off the boat into 6.0-8.0m of water then did the skills required . Once the skills were completed it would be basicly a pleasure dive down to 12-18m for a total dive time of around 40 minutes per dive.

For me 31 years ago, I used 2 tanks for two dives with two entries/exits for a logged total of :15. Who knows if that was correct because I did not have a timing device and I did not ask my instructor buddy. I probably had 20 hours during pool sessions

Eight year ago, my daughter used four tanks for 4 dives, 4 entries/exits for a logged total of 2:37. She probably had 5 hours in the pool with what ended up being private instruction since she was the only student.

I wrestled with how explicit to make the question. I take it you required more than several fill in 2 weeks?
We filled the tank for each dive, pool, beach and boat. My instructor was adamant about not counting more than one dive from a tank. The only time I count a dive from a used tank is if I make it another day.

In our area the primary checkout site is miles away from any fills and they don't like to haul lots of tanks. So what they do is take two and use 1/2 for one dive and 1/2 for another. I thought that was shortchanging people after I became an instructor so I found a place with fills on site. So for my students 4 dives is 4 tanks and average bottom time per dive is 45 min - 1 hour.

2002, I did my open water checkout dives over two mornings on a referral with a great instructor on the south coast of Maui.
Water temp was 81 - 82 degrees at depth on all dives. 4 tanks for 4 dives.
Dive #1 - 38 mins
Dive #2 - 50 mins
Dive #3 - 52 mins
Dive #4 - 46 mins

Last edited:
5 tanks, one for each OW dive (we obv had them filled at the location- Dutch springs)

Unfortunately, we only did the ''wading'' entry that is typical of Dutch Springs diving
I would've liked a giant stride or two, for exp. but hey, now im certified so I can do as many as i'd like :D

Had to dig out the log book from my March of 1979 NASDS class.

5 weeks of classes-5 Tuesday nights in the classroom, 5 Thursday nights in the pool.
5 Saturdays of open water checkouts:
Week 1: Crystal River (Mullet Springs)
Week 2: Manatee
Week 3: Troy Springs (60 ft low viz dive on a Alum 50, while being paired with the weakest diver in the class)
Week 4: Jenny Springs (10 or so novice open water trainees, all in the Jenny Ballroom at the same time, the more advanced of us with our fins off and poodle jackets inflated, walking around on the ceiling:shakehead:)
Week 5: Back to Crystal River and Kings Bay.

The first pool night was gear familiarization only, so I have 9 tanks total, counting pool and open water.

Most of these dives were 30 min or less - you don't accumulate a lot of bottom time with an aluminum 50, even with a sac of .27
I'd like to have those young lungs back. I dove with the kids in the Suwannee Thursday - I'm embarrassed to post my sac, but I will say it's considerably higher than it was back then.

As a dive guide, I really did not know how to answer this poll but I voted (1). Never been diving in a pool,never had a check out dive,read the material,pass the test,dive shop owner paid fees,and we went diving. I do not recommend this process to anyone but back then we were real stupid & had luck on our side.

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

We used steel 72s, and switched out between dives. 4 dives on two separate days, 4 cylinders.

4 dives, 4 tanks, 1:27 bottom time, 2 free flows (my buddy had 2 free flows on the 2 dives that I didn't), 39 degree water temp, in a wetsuit (7mm+7mm shorty)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom