How many Deco Obligations did Jacques Cousteau have ...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are all just words, but words can confuse. PADI recently eliminated the phrase "no decompression diving" from its course work for that reason. It is now called "no stop" diving to indicate that a decompression stop is not required.

They are no less "just words" than "no compression diving" and "no stop" diving are. I'm sure you know well and understand that a "safety stop" is in fact a decompression stop for the sake of making recreational diving "safer". With some agencies this is optional, with others it is mandatory. [emoji2]

Those are all just words, but words can confuse. PADI recently eliminated the phrase "no decompression diving" from its course work for that reason. It is now called "no stop" diving to indicate that a decompression stop is not required.

I'm honestly appalled that PADI would take that step backwards. It's about as appalling as practicing a CESA. I understand the financial motivations to puppy mill students through, but a proper education on how to plan and execute a dive can't take that much longer.

What is the stop not being done during a "no stop" dive. Please tell me it's not a decompression stop, because that would mean the dive was considered a no decompression dive.

PADI recently eliminated the phrase "no decompression diving" from its course work for that reason. It is now called "no stop" diving to indicate that a decompression stop is not required.

Now let me get this straight, "no stop" diving indicates no decompression stop but you still have a safety stop. I'm sure this will [-]stop[/-] eliminate all the confusion with NDL ( No Decompression Limit ) diving and stops.

When I was trained we had no stop diving when there was no deco obligation, bottom to surface @ 60'/min.

Whoever started the "no decompression diving" (NDD) nomenclature shortcut should have been corrected instead of adding to the confusion.

Bob
--------------------
I may be old, but I'm not dead yet.

… Those are all just words, but words can confuse. PADI recently eliminated the phrase "no decompression diving" from its course work for that reason. It is now called "no stop" diving to indicate that a decompression stop is not required.

I hate to say it but that is equally stupid with the existence of safety stops. The proper terminology I was taught was “no decompression stop”. Everyone also used shorthand versions like no stop, do decompression, and no-D. I never recall any of these shorthand versions causing confusion.

I have noticed that many divers describe the surface interval as decompression. Yes surface intervals are part of the “decompression profile”, but is not decompression in the literal or classic diving sense. The term I learned in the Navy was outgassing for the continuing process of diluent gas elimination until reaching saturation at the surface. Tissues are super-saturated before that.

I suspect that PADI will soon have legions of divers that think no dives qualify as “no stop” because they always do a safety stop.

Was the narrator Rod Serling? I didn't see him on the credits, but it sure sounded like him.

The.Undersea.World.of.Jacques.Cousteau.Collection. 1- Lagoon.of.Lost.Ships. - Video Dailymotion

Bob
Yes that was the Twilight Zone Man himself.

Along with that classic Emmy Award winning Rosenman/Scharf musical score, this was the original underwater documentary series that inspired all us old timer divers. . . (And to actually look at the ship's nameplate "Heian Maru" like Jacques did over 45 years ago in Truk, along with thousands of other divers that he inspired since). . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom