How many dive BP's and Wings' vs. Basic Scuba Gear?

What % dive BC's and what % dive BP's & Wings?

• I dive ONLY a BP/Wing

Votes: 53 46.1%
  • I dive BOTH BP's/Wings and BC's

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I dive ONLY a BC

Votes: 38 33.0%
  • I dive ONLY a BP/Wing

Votes: 53 46.1%
  • I dive BOTH BP's/Wings and BC's

Votes: 24 20.9%
  • I dive ONLY a BC

Votes: 38 33.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

The way to stay contented with your knighthawk...

Yeah, you're probably right... I just have more 'important' things to spend my money on right now. Like getting rid of my Air2 and purchasing an Apex or ScubaPro alternate instead, along with a 7' hose for my primary and a pony bottle, and a dry suit and...

I'm not converting, it just makes sense...or something like that.

For now I am diving rear-inflated & weight-integrated. And it works just fine.

MNScuba once bubbled...
I'm not converting, it just makes sense
I know you aren't... totally understood... and like you say you've got other things to buy right now... best bet is to just take it a piece at a time... gradually... someday maybe... when the time is right the opportunity will present itself...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
he's being assimilated... :wink:

make you DIR or inclined towards it. So don't feel you are heading to the dark side just because they dive the same stuff. :tease:

As for me, I dive all three... BP & wings, Back inflate vest, and a standard vest. All have their own eccentricities and all do great. Of the three, I dive the back inflate (a Chute II) the most often, as it is the least hassle to change tanks etc.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

... best bet is to just take it a piece at a time... gradually... someday maybe... when the time is right the opportunity will present itself...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
he's being assimilated... :wink:

Uh Oh!!:confused:

I must have just had one of those times...........
I Just ordered a Halcyon 27 lb wing,
I decided to take my BP to the Bahamas instead of my TPII. :D

NetDoc once bubbled...
Diving BP and Wings does not make you DIR or inclined towards it.

True, and to be totally honest...other than a couple gear configs I know basically nothing about 'DIR'. From what little I've read (all on this board) it does make sense and seems like a good system and basis for using a 'standardized' configuration.

For now I'm just happy being in the water, having fun and being safe. I'm sure when the time comes and I want to learn more about 'DIR' there would be a couple people here who could help me out :wink:

Another DIR thread in the making. I remember when a BP/wing was part of a Hogarthian configuration. I have never met JJ but from the few phone conversations I have had with him I like him. I like his ideas. I don't find much about DIR that I don't agree with and I have read all of their printed materials. Still there is something...?

Yeah, seems like anything posted turns into a DIR thread somehow... Oh well, at least we all (I think) have something in common... we love diving, and in the end that's what it's all about.

AMEN!

:D

You know it sorta works both ways... If dis a particular practice that DIR advocates and you get negative about DIR attitudes, then you hurt some of their feelings... and they whine about it and tell us to debate the issues and not the agency!

If a particular practice is not only DIR, but also mainstream cavediving, some DIR divers seem to want to claim it as their own. You may or may not hear the cry to "debate the issues" and not the agency here. An inconsistency at best.

Most (I can't say all) of the DIR practices are available to all divers without having to be identified with that particular group. I have my modified Hogarthian rig which I love. But just as I like to drive more than one vehicle too, I have different rigs that I dive. If I have to move furniture, I drive my truck. If I have to move people I drive my wife's van (if she'll let me). One is Nissan and the other a Chrysler... some people are hard to "pigeonhole" as one thing or another. That's OK... that makes this board a tad more interesting. And as for me, I would MUCH rather leave the rancor behind and talk about the individual practices.

Back
Top Bottom