How many dive ops and divers per day?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jayfarmlaw

Contributor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just curious.....how many dive operators are there in Cozumel? And more curious.....on average, how many divers per day. Low, high, and average?

Edit: don't want to know how many divers each operator averages, just how many divers in the water on any given day.

Thanks,
Jay

Last edited:
If that's true, and it certainly seems reasonable, then it really puts into perspective the economic impact of divers in relation to cruise ships. The cruise ships barf out that many people in twenty minutes.

If that's true, and it certainly seems reasonable, then it really puts into perspective the economic impact of divers in relation to cruise ships. The cruise ships barf out that many people in twenty minutes.
Yes, that many and more.....but they dont pay for rooms, they (most likely) dont spend what a diver does per day on diving and tips, and many dont even eat or drink much on shore since it is included if they do it on the ship.

On the other hand, the cruise shippers most likely do far more tours and such.

Both have HUGE economic impact and trying to decipher which is the greater contributor is really a mute point since the island depends heavily on both.

I don't know for sure but I've heard there are approx 200 dive ops here and during high season well over a thousand divers a day.

As far as cruse ship divers go we don't run across very many. It's the exception not the rule.

I suspect there are actually a lot of cruise ship divers in Coz every day cruise ships are in port. Many use the ships' dive ops, but many also use outside vendors. Was there two weeks ago and there were 21 divers using the ship's dive op from one cruise ship, and there were 5 ships in port on that day. Also, I think cruisers eat, drink and shop a lot more in Cozumel than most folks think. Go on a cruise ship on port days and you will find it is pretty empty most of the day, even at lunch time. I do not know how much cruise ships contribute to Cozumel's overall economy, but it must be substantial since the government was trying to put in another cruise pier.

I think you are way low. Meridiano tells me they fill 2000 tanks a day. Some of the dive ops have their own compressors. There is another commercial outfit filling tanks. I have heard 100 dive ops with their own boats and 400 who take their customers with other boats. I'm gonna go with 2000 divers a day in the busy season.

I suspect there are actually a lot of cruise ship divers in Coz every day cruise ships are in port. Many use the ships' dive ops, but many also use outside vendors. Was there two weeks ago and there were 21 divers using the ship's dive op from one cruise ship, and there were 5 ships in port on that day. Also, I think cruisers eat, drink and shop a lot more in Cozumel than most folks think. Go on a cruise ship on port days and you will find it is pretty empty most of the day, even at lunch time. I do not know how much cruise ships contribute to Cozumel's overall economy, but it must be substantial since the government was trying to put in another cruise pier.

We see those big boats. Not saying we never dive with cruise ship divers. Just not often.

Don't know numbers but I think there is a dive shop on every corner and every other door between in San Miguel. I saw one that quite literally was the size of my closet back home.

I think it's safe to say there are "enough" dive ops and "more than enough" divers. However, there's always room for quality dive ops and more experienced, respectful divers... Never forget watching a group of resort divers from the Coz Palace rocket like corks to the surface or fall like rocks to the bottom while grabbing ahold of or standing on every coral structure they could reach. That and those annoying selfie sticks! Nothing like watching a solo Palace diver grab ahold of the flipper of a sea turtle resting under a ledge and drag it out thrashing while he tries to hug it with one arm and his record it with his selfie stick in the other. Where do they hatch those people?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom