How many dives did you have when you did AOW

How Many Dives did you have when you started your AOW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
i had over 25 dives. i was too advanced for AOW. the class was a joke.
Ditto, I had about 75, I won't say advanced I'd say my experiences surpassed the class material, except for Altitude where I learned a thing or two. I only took it so I coudl take Rescue. If I could have skipped it I would have.

I agree the AOW course needs to be at a much higher level. Only reason im even doing it is so i can do rescue, then DM, then AI and my IDC :D

Any suggestions on how to improve the AOW course?

I was around 40+ dives. By that time AOW was a total waste of my time but I took it so I could take rescue. The only thing that I did on AOW that hadn't on my own was go to 60'+. I didn't get narced so it was also pretty worthless.

Keep in mind also that the teacher makes the class sometimes. I know of some one that just took his AOW and the teacher let them add a few things. They shot bags, slung a pony bottle and a few other more advanced items not normally taught in AOW.

howarde:
AOW can be very valuable, as can rescue and other subsequent certifications. I just like people to know that taking a class isn't always the only way to learn things. Diving with good divers and diving a lot can replace the need for classes, and the money you save can go towards boat dives, or better SCUBA gear :wink:

Unless the divers you are diving with are doing rescue drills, I'm not sure how reading a book can replace a rescue class where one practices the drills both in the pool, and then in OW.

The class also has task loading drills. Until one does a complete gear strip of both yourself and the victim while rescue breathing in water over your head one may not appreciate this task loading drill, and rescue breathing in the water is something I certainly fear even if I was not going to strip gear.

The Rescue class is easily the best class I've done to date. I wish they offered a refresher class at low cost so I could keep the drills fresh. Unless one is an EMT or practicing/teaching this on a regular basis I'm afraid that even those trained in rescue are not as proficient as they could be.

There was absolutely no need for me to have any more dives than the four open water dives I had in order to do the AOW class I did, with the LDS that certified me. I learned almost nothing from the class, but I did get five more dives in with an instructor, which is what I wanted, as I did not feel in any way safe to be an independent diver after OW.

Now, NWGratefulDiver's AOW class is one I'm not sure I could pass TODAY (that midwater nav dive . . . shudder). That's a class one would get a great deal more out of if one had significant experience before taking it.

Suggestions for improving the AOW class? Put some teeth in it. That's what Bob did. He teaches gas management, and makes his students PLAN a deep dive and compare their plan with what actually happens. On his night dive, students learn how to execute a "lost buddy" drill if the lights go out. His navigation exercises are wicked, and include navigating a complex course without any visual reference (this is the one that gets me). He does a search and recovery dive that includes recovering a large object using a lift bag. By the time you've finished the class, you've acquired both intellectual material AND physical skills, and you don't pass the class until you PASS it. No underwater basket weaving in Bob's class!

For a strange state of timing things I was 44 years old with 44 dives when I took my AOW class last summer.

Over all thought the class was good. Already had dove past 60', but the PPB and actual night dive was cool. also did DPV which was a blast.

It worked out well sinc a month later I went to Florida and did my first couple of drift dives off Ft. Lauderdale.

Hopefully will get to do Rescue Diver next summer.

Jeff

It's interesting that so many people blame the class, the instructor, and anything else they can think of for AOW. Some things to consider are did you research the instructor? Did you discuss your expectations with the LDS, or instructor prior to taking the class? Did you take it with an instructor you felt would go above and beyond? OR, did you just take it to get a card, and then go online and complain about how worthless it was?

When I take a class, ANY class, I generally do a bit of research to determine if it's a class I will get something out of before dropping $$$.

Maybe rather than everyone reporting how lame it all was, maybe they should discuss the approach they used in researching the LDS/Instructor, the effort they made in learning the materials, and their expectations?

I did the class almost right out of OW. I did it to log more dives with an instructor, and I picked an instructor who was full of energy. I learned about Altitude dive planning, my buoyancy skills increased a LOT (not difficult with only started 5~6 dives), may navigation skills doubled at least, and I was more comfortable going deep (we did 80', 95' with the altitude adjustment) after having done so with an instructor. It was also My first night dive and while just a dive, we did a nav drill, and I learned the importance of watching depth while navigating without a visual reference.

I added Nitrox to the mix, saved a few bucks on that class, and two of my AOW divers were done using the Nitrox RDP's, so that added some reinforcement to my dive planning as well as provided a valuable card.

Overall my AOW experience was a LOT better than most of the responses I read. I think this was because I was not an experienced diver, but also because I really worked with the instructor and versa-visa to get as much out of the class as possible.

had 36 dives before completing the course.

I did not learn a great deal neither... In fact I hated the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom