How many dives did you have when you did AOW

How Many Dives did you have when you started your AOW

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did mine with the instructors who taught my OW class. I liked them, and it never occurred to me that any of the shortcomings in my diving were THEIR fault. I just assumed I was diving-challenged (and in retrospect, I am). I was disappointed in the classroom content of the class, as I was with OW, but again -- I didn't know there were other agencies, I didn't know the classes vary enormously from instructor to instructor, I didn't know what I didn't know! I'm pretty bright and very curious, and it's not unusual for me to find classes aimed somewhere below where I want to understand the material, and I'm pretty good about finding resources and learning on my own. It just doesn't work very well for physical skills.

I had no idea what a gulf there was between instructors until I started working with Bob. That was a tectonic shift in my view of diving instruction.

Some of the old timers got more than AOW as OW. OW "was" much more than it is today and at one price. :wink:

The pole needs an addition to cover that.

Gary D.

I did my AOW right after my OW -- but I don't know how many dives I'd had since the OW class was the 2nd time around for me. As so many others have said, when I got certified originally (1967) we did so much more than we do now in either set of classes.

Ron -- one of the problems TSandM and I had with the OW and AOW classes was that we (she) didn't know what she didn't know. (I just looked at the whole set of things as first a refresher course and second a way to learn about the "new" equipment -- octo's, BC's and dry suits.) TSandM needed more instruction immediately and I was NOT the one to provide it (first because I'm her husband and second because I have/had no understanding of how to teach her what she needed to know -- I could do the skills but I couldn't teach her how to do them).

I think we both knew there HAD to be more "out there" -- but it wasn't clear how the "more" could be learned until she/we met a different type of instructor (NWGratefulDiver) -- one who had looked beyond the PADI model and determined that more really was needed. From my understanding of the PADI model, our instructors were quite good -- but they couldn't teach beyond the model.

Somewhere over 200.

Gary D.:
Some of the old timers got more than AOW as OW. OW "was" much more than it is today and at one price. :wink:

==========================================

Quite true ...and some of what we got was very bordline in terms of what is thought of today as "recreational". Not sure if was more a function of agency and instructor back then ? My class in 1971 was taught by an ex-SEAL who, let's just say, hadn't yet quite adjusted to civilian life. We lost 4 - 5 students the first night of pool session because of the somewhat cruel and rough treatment he dealt out. Fortunatly for me ...I had just gotten out of Army and had served '68 - '71 in Airborne Infantry so it actually was kinda fun. But man ...when I think back to some of the stuff he taught us and made us do ...whew !!

Well, I hear over and over how one should have a few dives under their belt before going AOW. I just don't believe it. My Instructor made me study, turn in my knowledge reviews, Questioned me, requestioned me, Checked my knots (for Search and recovery) and did all the other requirements for AOW and Specialties. So what if I haven't been on as many dives as you have, I have studied and trained in my specialties and have not failed anything

Again, just because you have 80 pleasure dives and I have 25 training dives should very well make me more "Advanced." Training Dives Force you to do it the right way. Pleasure dives before training teaches you bad habits that are sometimes hard to break.

I have done: OWD, Adventure, AOW, Deep diver, Search and Recovery, Navigation, Bouyancy, and one dive into Multi-level/Computer specialties. I have my CPR and AED and am headed to my First Aid then it's on the Rescue Diver. Sure I may not have the years and Logged Dives that some have, but Training wise I'll be able to Save their lives. Does that make me more advanced, Sure it does in some ways and in others (time served) there is just no comparison.

Are you going to request a Rescue Divers Log book before you let him pull you out of the water?

"Relax, sir, I am here to rescue you!"
"Have you logged at LEAST 80 dives?"

The problem with AOW is the name. It is not an "advanced" course by any stretch of the imagination. The purpose of it is to give more supervised training in specific areas, like deep diving, night diving, navigation, etc. If an OW diver gets normal experience in those areas over a number of dives, then the course will be pretty meaningless.

In my case, I took my OW in a place that I now know (didn't then) took a lot of liberties with the standards. I decided I needed more. I took AOW at my next vacation opportunity. I was the only one in the class, so it amounted to five extended classroom experiences and five dives with a private instructor. He went well beyond the specifics of the dives we were doing to give me valuable general diving tips. It helped me a lot.

Thus, I feel that if the course remains as it is, people should take it very soon after their OW.

If people are going to get vast experience before taking the course, than it needs to be much more substantial.

GA Under Water:
just because you have 80 pleasure dives and I have 25 training dives should verywell make me more experienced. Training Dives Force you to do it the right way. Pleasure dives before training teaches you bad habits that are sometimes hard to break.
I have to disagree with this, in this situation you may very well be better trainied, but only diving leads to experience IMO, all things being equal (and there are alot of em') someone with 3x's more dives than you is certainly more experienced.

-Garrett

Yeah, Experienced wasn't the word I ment to use :) I agree that more dives = more experience. duely edited :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom