How many dives did you have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jvevea:
Does this imply gear beyond a pony bottle?

The idea is to achieve redundancy. How you do it is probably secondary to how you approach thinking it through. For example, not all ponies are created equally. Different ponies have different sizes, different mounting techniques and different benefits and drawbacks. Which pony you buy and how you mount it an use it (eg. keep it open vs. open it when you need it....) needs some thought. Maybe in the process of that you'll decide on a different form of redundancy, like a twin-7 or twin-10, which has it's own set of benefits and issues.... The point being that thinking it through is the most important thing. The proper solution will result from clear thinking. Essential in this, of course is being able to *manipulate* all that redundancy. It does you no good at all to have twins if you don't know how to do a shutdown or you can't reach your valves..... practice in a confined environment like a swimming pool is essential.

I think I'm missing something here. Could you elaborate on this?
Door to door thinking treats the solo dive from the point where you kiss your lady g'bye to to moment you say "honey I'm home". Why? Because the most dangerous part of the dive isn't the under water part. It's driving to the dive site, getting in the water and the like. If you get a flat-tire driving out and you're an hour late, will she phone 911? If you filed a dive plan with her, then she probably would. Plan to phone or be phoned at certain times to check if you're on plan or not. A cell-phone is therefore essential gear for a solo diver.... Also, you need to plan to deal with *all* problems alone. A good example of this is something that happened to a buddy of mine. He was getting in the water on a dike and he slipped on the rocks. He got his leg jammed and fell over sideways. Needless to say he got a really nasty broken leg. If you're alone in the middle of no where, you'll have to get your gear off, crawl your way back to the car and phone 911 yourself. My friend said he was in too much pain to have done that and he would have had to lay there and wait until someone came along to help him...... these are the kinds of contingencies you really need to plan for. Door to door means planning for what can happen above water as well as what happens under water.

I'm curious on this point: would you say that it is important to have experienced and solved a number of seriously problematic dives in a buddy situation before considering solo diving?

Not necessarily. It would certainly help to have experience solving problems under water but what I'm trying to convey to you is that you must be the type of person who takes control and solves problems that would make other people panic or become passive. Have you ever been at the site of serious automobile accident? It's amazing to see.... 90% (or more) of the people there are standing around like stunned cows while a very few actually deal with the situation and take action..... You probably know which type you are already. If you're a "deal with the problem" type of guy then you have a big advantage. So what I was saying with that is that your character/personality plays a very big part in whether or not you'll make a good (solo) diver.

IN the context of the number of dives, the "stunned cow" types can get 1000 dives but unless they really work on training their reactions they'll still be stunned cows when Murphy dumps on them. That's what I was getting at.

R..

My first dive was solo in the early '60s. But they didn't caution against it in training - well maybe they did but I didn't have any training.

My first 100+ dives were solo. Paid $50 for a tank and reg. in 69 from a guy at school.
No training.
Watched reruns of Sea Hunt ( Mike Nelson went diving solo) and read Skin Diver Mag.
Like some of the others have said it's lucky that I didn't get hurt or kill myself.
Today I do more than 90% of my dives solo. It's being comfortable and having the right equipment for the planned dive.

My first was by accident in Belize...That traditional night dive at the Preserve...went in as a group...turned around any everybody was mixed in with all the other dive boats...so I took a compass reading and went on with the dive :)

Around dive 40 when I had gotten a pony, second cutting tool, et al...I did it on purpose in our local training area in Lake Champlain...The biggest danger I encountered was getting in and out over the slippery rocks :)

Paul in VT

I solo dive. I have for some time. It started (BEFORE I should have!) when I purchased my own equipment and wanted to try it out but not being able to find a buddy. I went to local area beach (early in morning so no one would bug me). Stupid idea! I had no problems, everything went according to my non existent dive plan. I was fortunate!

I went on to log a bunch more dives mostly with buddies but since I was a self admitted loner it was mostly because of peer pressure to dive with a buddy.

It was not until I later joined an active Dive Club with only about 15 members but we are active diving dive club. we are loose knit not a Roberts Rules of Order type Dive Club. I met a lot of skilled divers and soon to be favorite Instructor. I progressed and certified Rescue, Solo Diver, Master Diver and Divemaster. I now feel much more comfortable diving solo but do it regularly with a great group of Dive buddies.

Diving with good friends is more FUN than not having anyone to tell your sea-stories to! Watch ANY dive group return to the boot; people LIKE to talk about what they saw!

Occasionally when activity warrants it (Scooter, Zero Viz Shark Tooth hunting dive, or Videoing a dive) I feel much better about diving either totaly alone or in a looser knit-to- almost non-existent buddy team. Solo Dive training and experience prepare one for this.

However, now I seem to realize the responsibility to set proper example for lesser experienced divers as I now work with an Instructor in an official capacity. Like raising kids, someone is always watching you and making an example of you. Either a good example or a bad example of your diving characteristics.

I endorse Solo Diving (sometimes) and Buddy Team diving as well. Solo training makes you a better buddy, either for yourself or when you are someone else's buddy.

DON'T RUSH THINGS AND MAKE SURE YOU ARE SOLO DIVING FOR THE RIGHT REASONS. I guess those vary for each of us individually.

My two cents worth.

My first solo dive was stupid. Somewhere in the range of 25 - 30 dives. Wamted tp do a night dive at the resort I was at, couldn't find a buddy, so I went alone. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Then at 60 feet on a wreck at night, I started thinking, you know, this isn't real smart... what if....? I got back over some shallow reef -- 15 feet or so -- and spent the rest of the dive thinking solo at night at depth at my experience level just wasn't smart.

Next solo dive was probably around dive 200. MUCH more experience diagnosing and solving problems underwater, much more training, including DM and instructor. One argument that convinced me that maybe it was OK to dive solo was the assertion that scuba instructors are effectively solo on every training dive.

These days, after > 900 OW dives (and lord only knows how many pool dives with students), my most enjoyable dives are solo -- when I can just relax and get in that zen-like zone. On those, I usually have redundant air-supplies, lights, cutting devices, signaling devices, SMB, etc. Most are shallow, < 60ft, unless I'm in tech gear w/ fully redundant everything.

My best dive buddy ever, whom I met on a liveaboard a few years ago, and I are completely serious when we say that diving with each other is almost as good as diving solo. We're not same ocean buddies, we're close enough and aware enough to help the other if he needs it, but he's quite competent and appropriately confident in his skills. I like that he's as cautious as me, and likes to go slow and enjoy the experience.

The others are right: it's not the number of dives that "qualifies" you to dive solo. It's the equipment, training, competence, and -- most important of all -- mindset.

I started soloing after about 50 dives, in less than 20 feet of water.

When did you start soloing at night?

I did my first solo night dive after about 70 dives.

But I also did a lot of solo rock climbing (free-soloing), solo caving and solo mountaineering.

Doc Harry:
But I also did a lot of solo rock climbing (free-soloing), solo caving and solo mountaineering.

I've done a number of solo dives, and really don't see a problem with it. Rock climbing "free solo" on the other hand makes my palms sweat and knees shake just thinking about it. I think it's FAR easier to position yourself outside your skill level on the rocks then in most recreational diving situations.

e.a.e.

:D
Doc Harry:
I started soloing after about 50 dives, in less than 20 feet of water.

When did you start soloing at night?

I did my first solo night dive after about 70 dives.

Solo this...solo that...okay Doc...is it your deoderant or what???:D

Paul in VT

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom