How many dives until your DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara:
An instructor may do a large number of shallow dives but it's about as technical and demanding as it gets...it's the 20 ft teaching dive that requires the most skill and experience to do well.

I respectfully disagree. Yes, teaching OW students can be mentally and physically demanding, but the diving is hardly challenging. Would you want to buddy up with someone who had only done training dives on a deep dive, in cold water, on a wreck, in current, from shore, in low vis., and at night?

I guess I was trying to say that my radar goes up whenever anyone starts bragging about how "experienced" they are, especially those who claim to be instructors.

In general, the more diving you do, the better DM/instructor you are going to be. I would also suggest that in your DM training, you work with as many different instructors as you possibly can. It's amazing how many good techniques you can pick up from observing others.

baitedstorm:
It's not the number of dives that make you a good diver, its what you learn from each of the dives you do and then apply it.

This is true to a point, but if you don't have many dives, you simply haven't been exposed to enough situations to learn from & apply what you've learned.

On a recent dive trip, there was a DM-in-training on our boat. I don't know how many dives this individual had, but his buoyancy was all over the place, he nearly lost his weight belt at the surface & was grasping for a mooring line to hold onto with dear life (with essentially no air in his BC, I might add), and he could barely get into his own equipment. Scary, scary stuff. I only hope that his instructor will demand much more from him before they even think about passing him off as a DM.

Jim

GoBlue!:
This is true to a point, but if you don't have many dives, you simply haven't been exposed to enough situations to learn from & apply what you've learned.

I agree.... I value every dive I make because (not only do I love it) I learn something new each time and not just from the DM or Instructor, but from fellow divers... the piont I was trying to make though was the amount of dives someone has doesn't always mean they are good or bad divers.

Just in the very short time I've been certified (one year tomorrow.... woohoo) I've heard some pretty big talkers on the boats and they are, more often than not, the ones all over the reefs, banging into other divers and just accidents waiting to happen. I avoid them at all cost.

jlyle:
I respectfully disagree. Yes, teaching OW students can be mentally and physically demanding, but the diving is hardly challenging.

What do you consider a challenging dive?
Would you want to buddy up with someone who had only done training dives on a deep dive, in cold water, on a wreck, in current, from shore, in low vis., and at night?

Of course not. I'd want to do the dive with an experience deep wreck diver.
I guess I was trying to say that my radar goes up whenever anyone starts bragging about how "experienced" they are, especially those who claim to be instructors.

Based on my experience with the dive indusry in general I'm leary of any one unless I have personal experience with them or they come with references. If we're talking deep wreck divers in this part of the world chances are if I don't know them, I know some one who does. I can usually ask around and find out. Whether or not they're an instructor has nothing to do with it.

It is true that the industry pumps divers through to instructor so fast that there are many instructors who are in fact fairly new divers.

I know instructors who have only dived quarries and I know instructors who mostly only dived tropical reefs. I also know instructors who have dived deep wrecks and caves all over the world.
In general, the more diving you do, the better DM/instructor you are going to be. I would also suggest that in your DM training, you work with as many different instructors as you possibly can. It's amazing how many good techniques you can pick up from observing others.

I think experienced makes you a better instructor but that isn't what the industry is looking for these days.

If you're warm, breathing and willing...you're in.

jlyle:
I respectfully disagree. Yes, teaching OW students can be mentally and physically demanding, but the diving is hardly challenging.

I'd say that depends entirely on what you consider "diving".

I finished up my IQP earlier today ... the final portion of the test was to take a bunch of DM's and instructors out in the open water and treat them like OW students ... and they were determined to act like OW students.

As a DM I thought I'd seen it all ... today I found out otherwise.

Never realized how stressful this kind of diving can be ... you've really got to have six senses and four eyes to catch all the things you didn't anticipate.

After nearly 900 dives, I can only hope I'm experienced enough to handle it ... I'll find out in a coupla weeks.

To those of you who think you want to be instructors at 100 dives, I can only say "good luck" ... to you and your students.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Seasquatch:
Is there anything wrong with starting with about 30 or 40? (thats where i will be). Except experience that is. Just looking to get to the instructor sceen ASAP
There is nothing wrong with starting with 20 or 30, there is expirience and education and you're getting the education and then expirience. A good DM isn't the amount of dives, it's maturity, leadership and infinite patience. A good instructor will make a world of difference and a well run DM course will make you a more confident diver. I know some DM canidates who simply just jumped in the water, got wet and called it a dive.......is that expirience? They were just doing it to get the 60 dives and really missing the point. I hope the LDS that's running the course has an internship program where you can assist expirienced DM's and learn from them (both good and bad habits.) Strive to emulate the good and remember a diver is always learning...........Best of luck!

I had about 60 dives when I started DM, and I did not feel experienced enough. I also fast tracked into an IDC, with much the same feeling. Now, 3 1/2 years later and several hundered dives richer I am somewhat more comfortable. The one thing that I really did not like, and still don't, is teaching people significantly older than me. I feel like it is tough to get respect with a huge age difference (20+ years), though this is probably more perceived than actual.

All my classes recently have been teaching college students, which is a lot easier for me. From your age, I would guess that you may be able to DM for a college club or class, which will get you experience at a good comfort level. It will also allow you to meet divers who you can go dive with and practice your skills.

I also spent a bit of time at a shop that runs regular IDCs and DM classes. There were a lot of people who showed up who were unprepared, but they turned out pretty well. I would not have had a problem asking several of them to assist.

You have to decide whether you think you are ready for DM. No one can make the deciscion for you.

I started my DM with 25 dives and finished with 90. As someone said, it depends on what you want to do with your certification. If you plan on working as a DM afterwards, think during your training about what you need to do to be able to handle the job. Someone else said to work with different instructors which I think is a great idea.

I wonder how many DMs work as DMs? Most that I know don't, with the exception of occasionally helping with an OW class or a discover SCUBA. These same people took the class to enrich their education and diving experience. Even though this is a "Professional" level, none of them get paid. Usually free air and break on gear.

I agree with those who say, it is a matter of intent, and what you want to put in it and get out of it.

I say go for it and do the best you can.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom