How many dives until your DM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I had over 100 dives in several different environments and locations before I became a DM.

There's a lot of good advice and comment here. But what really matters is someone's attitude to their diving and to their DM responsibilities. There's a real need to recognise limitations and understand that being a DM (or any other dive professional) has everything to do with serving other divers - and nothing to do with ticking personal boxes or keeping score on dive magnificence.

And let's not forget (as someone indicated) undergoing DM training doesn't have to take you into professional commitment. It can be an excellent way of improving your personal dive knowledge and enriching your whole personal dive experience. The only catch with this one, if you don't get insurance cover and maintain PADI membership, you must be very careful that friendly advice imparted to other divers is not misconstrued as instruction.

Curt Bowen:
1-40 dives = Openwater
41-120 = Advanced
121 - 200 = Knowledgable / Basic Experienced
201 - 500 = Experienced / Leadership worthy
500 - 1000 = Basic Expert / Master Instructor Worthy
1000+ = Expert / Instructor Trainer Worthy

I think I agree with the above. I am now up to 41 dives and I feel I am just starting to get it. It has taken this long to get my air consumption down, get my weighting and trim correct, buoyancy under control, etc. It will be a long time before I feel I am ready to be a DM, that is if I ever decide to go that route.

I am starting my Rescue in a month or so, but I don't think you need a heck of alot of dives for Rescue, in reading the book, it is more about dealing with stress and emergencies. I am doing it becuase I think the skills in it are fundamental skills divers need.

I had about 40 when I started and about 80 by the time I finished. Now, though I'm still a relatively new diver with ~230 dives, the more I dive, the less I think I was "ready" back then. On the other hand, I'm glad I did it when I did. DM training doesn't really make you a better diver. It does teach you to deal with students and their problems, in and out of the water. What I found out is - they cannot teach you in class all the things that can happen. That only comes with experience.

Mike Newman:
And let's not forget (as someone indicated) undergoing DM training doesn't have to take you into professional commitment. It can be an excellent way of improving your personal dive knowledge and enriching your whole personal dive experience.

Do you think, Mike, that the number of dives matters less if someone is doing DM for personal improvement? That would be my take. Personally, I decided to do DM for this very reason more than with a view to getting a job as a DM or instructor in due course. Having said that, I'm having such a blast doing the DM (nearly finished) that I am thinking of maybe carrying on to AI after taking some time out just to dive for pleasure. Not that DM'ing isn't pleasure but you have a lot more to think about than just yourself and your buddy.

Seasquatch:
Is there anything wrong with starting with about 30 or 40? (thats where i will be). Except experience that is. Just looking to get to the instructor sceen ASAP

I had around 60 logged, 20 unlogged dives before I started DM in 1990. Around 475 logged dives when I became an AI last summer. I'm now over 500 logged dives and should be OWSI in August. As to unlogged dives, somewhere around 300.

I have been diving with instructors with fewer dives than I have. Some were good, some should not have been allowed to shower without supervision.

Don't rush to become as we said in the Army, a "ninety day wonder". Take your time and earn your stripes.

Seasquatch:
Is there anything wrong with starting with about 30 or 40? (thats where i will be). Except experience that is. Just looking to get to the instructor sceen ASAP
500 + and still working on DM does not include 227 commercial dives.

Interesting thread....I think instructors have an advantage as a result of the number of dives they do in terms of buoyancy, ability to recognize problems before they happen with other divers (having seen it all), and just the inherent time spent underwater. However, as previously pointed out this often means 20 minute dives in 20' of water. The dive is no doubt challenging in terms of managing people and their problems but it is certainly not the same type of challenge or experience as learned from a 200' deco dive.

If I were considering the DM route I would want more dives under my belt than the minimum. (I personally think the minimum experience for most every certification/agency is ridiculous (too low)). Of course if you are a DM for an OW course with 40 dives you ARE an expert compared to someone just learning to assemble gear. For my TDI Deco Procedures course my instructor had 3500 dives and the "DM" was also a TDI tech instructor with 1500 dives. Both were practicing deep deco divers. Needless to say they can offer a tip or two :wink: So the more experience you have beyond the minimums the better DM you will be and the better your students will be as a result of training with you.

--Matt

I had around 200 dives when I stared DM training, plus an unknown number of freedives. Experience included warm, cold, drysuit, nitrox, and some experience leading beginners on NE shore dives.

My DM course tested your diving skills, but did not really teach diving skills. It did teach how to lead dives and deal with issues that might arise in the water. Becoming a DM improves your diving skills by making you more trained/prepared to deal with others. Too many divers seem to think DM is a next step to improving basic diving skills. DM training should be undertaken when you feel confident in your diving skills and ability to plan and lead your own dives without always relying on a DM or more experienced buddy.

Ralph

Seasquatch:
How many dives did you do before beginning your dive master training?

I don't know for sure because I'm the worlds worst keeper of logs but based on averages I think I was just shy of 1000.

R..

Back
Top Bottom