How many of you have failed to analyze a tank that you thought had air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

None of my tanks have any permanent markings on them. All are o2 cleaned and able to be used for any % of o2, including air. I have all kinds of random mixes in them, including air.
I always analyze them at the shop and use tape/sharpie on the tank neck to label what's in it before I leave the shop.

Testing could be done at the shop or even in transit. No need to wait until people are waiting to splash to start testing. Just food for thought.

Plenty of dive boats don't leave from the shop, and what happens if, on the ride out, one (or more) finds they don't have 21% in their tank? if they aren't EANx certified, are they then not allowed to use those tanks? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

I'm with Chrpai on this one. I realize I don't have enough experience for my opinion to be relevant, but it feels like an over reaction to an extremely unlikely scenario. It feels like I'm taking my shoes off to get on a plane (Cue the thread hijack/Pub style brawl :D)

Plenty of dive boats don't leave from the shop, and what happens if, on the ride out, one (or more) finds they don't have 21% in their tank? if they aren't EANx certified, are they then not allowed to use those tanks? Sounds like a logistical nightmare.

So it is better to live life blind and just jump in with a mix that is NOT what you thought it was? Your argument does not make any sense. I would much prefer to call a dive because I found out I had a mix that was too rich for the dive I planned than to find out when I started to tox.....IJS.

I am NOT saying this is not an overreaction. I still to this day do not analyze my AIR tanks in any way. So I am not saying that this needs to be done. Chrpai said that other claimed the tanks needed to be tested just before jumping (I am paraphrasing his paraphrase :wink: so take it for what it is worth). My only point was that that could be en route to the site. There is no need to hold up an entire boat just because some internet wizard said the tank needed to be tested right before the dive.

It looks like we've found something new to argue over.

If my LDS would just start banking 32% and selling it at a decent price then every one would be happy. I'd analyize every tank and even dive 32% on my shallow 15'-25' dives to make the NetDoc's and the NWGD's happy. You could even include EANx training in OW and make the UTD / GUE guys happy.

Now if BlackBeard's could install a membrane system by Sep 6th. :)

.....How many of you have failed to analyze a tank that you thought had air?...
If the dive operator does NOT have Nitrox capabilities then I do not analyze the tank for O2 content. But maybe I should do something about CO .....

Having said that, recently I am spending quite some time analyzing all kind of gasses ...... :wink:

divenav_nitroxbuddy_20130817_560.jpg

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Two questions? Has anybody tried the Cheap Nitrox anylyzer? I'm considering one of these.
Also, once the tanks are O2 cleaned, if you put air in, is that okay?

You must have missed it in the book. You're suposed to buy airfills from PADI Dive Centers.

If analysis of (normoxic) air is so critical that failing to test can be viewed as a foolish, why not offer analyzers at cost for the safety of the diving community?

Just an idea. Tongue-in-cheek, but throwing it out there.

It looks like we've found something new to argue over.

If my LDS would just start banking 32% and selling it at a decent price then every one would be happy. I'd analyize every tank and even dive 32% on my shallow 15'-25' dives to make the NetDoc's and the NWGD's happy. You could even include EANx training in OW and make the UTD / GUE guys happy.

Now if BlackBeard's could install a membrane system by Sep 6th. :)

Or make everyone dive trimix and make AirGas happy...

So it is better to live life blind and just jump in with a mix that is NOT what you thought it was? Your argument does not make any sense. I would much prefer to call a dive because I found out I had a mix that was too rich for the dive I planned than to find out when I started to tox.....IJS.

I am NOT saying this is not an overreaction. I still to this day do not analyze my AIR tanks in any way. So I am not saying that this needs to be done. Chrpai said that other claimed the tanks needed to be tested just before jumping (I am paraphrasing his paraphrase :wink: so take it for what it is worth). My only point was that that could be en route to the site. There is no need to hold up an entire boat just because some internet wizard said the tank needed to be tested right before the dive.

We seem to be playing devil's advocate on opposite sides of a debate on a topic on which we actually agree.

I'm just saying it would be a bit of an undertaking to re-educate the masses of OW divers who don't have EANx training on how to analyze, why the are analyzing, and what the procedure is if the mix isn't what it's supposed to be. All because one tech diver (IIRC) didn't analyze one tank that he assumed was air.

All because one tech diver (IIRC) didn't analyze one tank that he assumed was air.

And a tank that was O2 cleaned and labeled as 02 with an FO2 of 98%.

This all seams like the NTSB and FAA to me. NTSB comes up with some edge case scenario and makes a recommendation and then the FAA has to weigh the real world cost / benefit ratio. They usually, but not always, say no AFAIK.

Back
Top Bottom