How many of you have failed to analyze a tank that you thought had air?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many of you have failed to analyze a tank that you thought had air?

Does this question point to an inherent fault in our training process from day one of Open Water training?​
Have never analyzed any tank. Do not intend to start.

Kind of like I do not analyze the fuel I pump into my car, the water that comes out of my kitchen faucet or the beer in my glass.

You are supposed to analyze tanks of air? I can't think of any LDS that pump anything else than air. Lucky you that you have such a concern.

It is unlikely that any of us are good enough on air consumption to have an oxtox problem at 130 feet or less on a single tank of normal nitrox blends. Below 130 or on doubles. Probably should know the O2 level. CO is starting to scare me more.

It is unlikely that any of us are good enough on air consumption to have an oxtox problem at 130 feet or less on a single tank of normal nitrox blends. Below 130 or on doubles. Probably should know the O2 level. CO is starting to scare me more.

Upon what basis have you made this probabilistic assessment?

Have never analyzed any tank. Do not intend to start.

Kind of like I do not analyze the fuel I pump into my car, the water that comes out of my kitchen faucet or the beer in my glass.

It would be kinda fun to pull out your beer analyzer...:wink:

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk 2

I just recently purchased a CO analyzer (from another forum member here). I've tested every single tank I've dove since then. Having performed zero CO tests, it hasn't saved me yet. But after reading a recent CO incident on the forum I thought it was a prudent decision. Apparently I'd make a terrible stoner, since I'm already a little paranoid. CO testers are unreasonably expensive in my opinion - probably on account of the low demand for them. In any event, I do intend to test every tank for CO... but probably won't be doing it at the dive site unless I happen to get a fill from an op there. I'm getting fills tonight in preparation for a dive on the USS Mohawk Saturday, so I'll get to try out that tester!

I also bought an O2 analyzer a little less recently. After not being able to get a nitrox fill with an op in the keys, I had to top a tank with air and dive it on what I estimated to be in it. Since the op didn't fill nitrox, they didn't have an analyzer there for me to use. I wasn't too worried about it since I was diving shallow and VASTLY below the mod even if it still had EAN37 in it. Hence why I decided to just go with the mix rather than dump and fill straight air.

Turns out my calculation for o2 was within 0.2% of what the tank tested at after I got back. Yay.

Anyway, on to the reason I'm chiming in. I don't understand why it makes a difference if I test my tank at the dive site vs testing it at home or in the shop that filled the tank. Every time I've had a nitrox tank filled, the shop has required me to test it myself. Then I have to record the test results, MOD, tank serial number, and a few other details in their fill log. After that they either provide me a piece of blue painters tape or a specialty tape with which I am to label my tank. I've only had nitrox filled at five different shops, but so far every one has had the exact same procedure. If I've already tested my own tank, why re test it again at the dive site?

At 130 on ean36 you're going to be at almost 1.8ppO2. I was lead to believe in my training that 1.8 is very dangerous? Unless I'm forgetting, time at that depth wasn't really given any consideration. I'm assuming it really is a factor, but probably isn't covered in order to discourage excessive risk taking. Maybe that's a topic for "Advanced Nitrox"?

Last edited:
Anyway, on to the reason I'm chiming in. I don't understand why it makes a difference if I test my tank at the dive site vs testing it at home or in the shop that filled the tank. Every time I've had a nitrox tank filled, the shop has required me to test it myself. Then I have to record the test results, MOD, tank serial number, and a few other details in their fill log. After that they either provide me a piece of blue painters tape or a specialty tape with which I am to label my tank. I've only had nitrox filled at five different shops, but so far every one has had the exact same procedure. If I've already tested my own tank, why re test it again at the dive site?

Keep in mind the original question (while IMHO is phrased a bit alarmist) does not involve nitrox at all, it asks who did not analyze a tank assumed to contain air. I personally don't feel that anyone is failing to analyze tanks assumed to have air in them as it is not a recognised procedure taught/followed by any agency. Of course anyone is free to analyze any tank they like. A converse question perhaps is how many dive shops are "failing" to require their customers to analyze assumed air fills.

I'm willing to bet you don't get through an AL80 full of O2 (or even EAN50) at 130 feet before you tox out. Not an unreasonable (or unusual) thing for people to have. Quite sure I have an AL80 of both sitting on my patio right now. Analyze your tanks.

I'm willing to bet you don't get through an AL80 full of O2 (or even EAN50) at 130 feet before you tox out. Not an unreasonable (or unusual) thing for people to have. Quite sure I have an AL80 of both sitting on my patio right now. Analyze your tanks.

I appreciate your posts, but as a recreational diver? BS. Did you notice we are in the "Basic Forum"?????

Keep in mind the original question (while IMHO is phrased a bit alarmist) does not involve nitrox at all, it asks who did not analyze a tank assumed to contain air. I personally don't feel that anyone is failing to analyze tanks assumed to have air in them as it is not a recognised procedure taught/followed by any agency. Of course anyone is free to analyze any tank they like. A converse question perhaps is how many dive shops are "failing" to require their customers to analyze assumed air fills.

Ah, I see. The responses in this thread are making a lot more sense to me now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom