How many of you really like to dive with a snorkel on your mask!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a snorkel, always have, can't imagine doing a surface swim without it.

The one I've been using since the 80's snagged on some kelp, and was lost, last year & I am very disappointed with the one's being sold today.

On my back, the snorkel is either out of my mouth completely or held loosely so I'm not sucking water through it.

Trained that way...imagine current, long surface swim, rough on surface and/or you are low/out of air. Snorkle would be handy.

See my avatar. And I'm even diving with a "long hose" configuration (6' primary, bungied backup) :wink:

It is personal preference. I prefer to be able to surface swim face down over long, VERY shallow reef in some of the places I shore dive here in Hawaii, so it is either burn through a bit of back gas, or use a snorkel.

I could (and have) dive without a snorkel at all of my favorite shore dive spots... it is not a 100% necessity.

But in my case, I find that the utility of having one outweighs all negatives. Your mileage may vary. :coffee:

Best wishes.

From my observations, the people who dislike snorkels, won't use snorkels, or have an outright hatred towards snorkels seem to have a compelling need to always bash or ridicule snorkels and people who use them. Interesting.
Why the emotions?
From my experience those that go out of their way to condemn always have a some sort of insecurity.

I think they are a handy tool for surface swimming on my belly navigating through kelp. What can I say?

Eye vear der schorkelz ven eye um doing single tank, 4 hour plus, shore dives, in warm water SoFla.
We routinely pop up, and surface swim with the current looking down for bugs.
I generally do not wear one when out on the boat.
I have been known to wear one at Ginnie Springs Cavern dives for several reasons.
The principle reason of course for wearing a snorkel in High Springs is that it annoys the heck out of pompous cave divers, and amuses non pompous cave divers.
Chug
Has seen wet rocks, and blind catfish.

You could always wear a snorkel and if you wanted to piss everybody off, you could have a dry snorkel with a purge. That should do it.

I guess that's another good reason to use a snorkel: To piss of people who hate them :)
I'm always signed up for that!

It's been there so long I don't even notice it. I was trained with snorkel on the right side

I would have thought that with the regulator coming off your right side, it would make it difficult or cumbersome to have the snorkel attached to the same side. Am I missing something here?

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 08:55 PM ----------

I don't like it on my mask unless I'm free diving I don't buy that line of it makes it easier to breathe with waves on the surface.

I agree.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 08:59 PM ----------

I dive with my snorkel safely in the box of old, unused gear in the closet.

This is exactly what I did with mine, but mine is in the garage.

---------- Post added October 24th, 2014 at 09:12 PM ----------

Snorkel debates rage on SB. Proponents like to snorkel on the surface (which is nice if you are swimming out over reef structure in fairly shallow water) and worry about choppy water (where I have never found a snorkel of any use). The naysayers dislike the device flopping alongside their face, dislike its tendency to make a mask leak when the strap is twisted, and find little use for a snorkel when submerged, which is where most diving takes place.

My personal experience is that I have done over 1000 dives in a variety of water conditions, and have never emergently needed or wanted a snorkel. I occasionally carry a rolled-up snorkel in my pocket, in case we run into dolphins after I have my gear off . . .

Thanks ,I forgot to mention about the mask leaks. This adds another point to why it bugs.

I find it pretty interesting, on how there some who actually like wearing them. I guess its becoming apparent to me, that this topic is more evenly divided than I originally thought.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom