How many people have had to use their knife/cutting tool while diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only time I've ever NEEDED a knife on a dive was off Ft Lauderdale... I couldn't believe this ray was letting us get this close to it, taking pictures of it... finally when I got a few yards from it, I realized that something was wrong and started looking for monofilament line. This was a couple of years ago before I carried a knife, but luckily my buddy did. I didn't know the signal for "give me your knife" but luckily she read my sawing motions correctly and puzzled, handed me her knife. I swam up pretty close to the ray and cut the line as close to it as I could. The ray shot off, I felt like I did my good deed for the day, and of course I bought a knife for myself right after that trip.

My knife has been used once UW. I do not knowingly touch things underwater, but on one dive my hand must have brushed a long-spined urchin. I do not remember the urchin and didn't realize I had even made a contact until the base of my left thumb started to tingle. Used the knife to cut out the 1/4" broken segment of spine sticking into my hand.

always carried one, never used it under water, however comes handy during the boat ride, camping sites

I always carried EMT shears and they worked well. Then on a dive near Anacapa island, my dive buddy spotted a lobster trap that was abandoned, old and nasty with dead eaten and other marine life. He pulled out a Rambo knife and disassembled that cage with the leverage of a 9 inch blade.
I bought a titanium Atomics knife that is waiting to rescuea stuck fish or fight off a Mad Mako.
I am still waiting for underwater bandits to try to cut my regulator hose like Mike Nelson experienced each week, on "Sea Hunt" Come at me Dude!

I used my knife to dig in and pull myself along a sandy bottom during a shore dive... not that I absolutely could not do without it, but it came in handy...

I forgot -- I WAS involved in an attempted rescue where we used the diver's knife to cut him out of his gear. It was the little sawed off DIR knife on the waist, and it worked great.

Have to help my buddy who got tangled in fishing line once other than that I haven't actually had to use mine to save myself or anything drastic!

Used trauma sheers to cut a diver out of his gear in a rescue. They worked great because we didn't have to worry about cutting his skin. Always carry them and hope never to need them again.

I carry 2 cutting tools, neither are a knife, I carry EMT shears, and a line cutters. Different sides of body so I can always reach 1. Used the shears once in Pennsacola to cut myself out of...you guessed it, fishing line.

Years ago, during a surface swim, one of our group out in front of me, called back "Blah blah blah!". At least that what it sounded like with my hood on. What he said was "Watch out for the fishing line!!" Just then my fin hooked it as a big swell covered my head. Wasn't ready and it was the only time I've felt panic while diving (knock wood). I was able to get my very dull, cheap knife out and cut it before the next swell and all was well. I always carry a knife.
---------- Post Merged at 05:18 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:14 PM ----------

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom