How many people love Vintage Equipment Diving ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

https://vimeo.com/72055098

Jacques-Yves Cousteau - Par 18 Mètres de Fond (1942)

from Philippe Tailliez
A lot of people will look at this in today's way of thinking as wasteful. But this was occupied France during WWII. Some of the photos in Cousteau's The Silent World* book come from this movie:
CHAPTER TWO
Rapture of the Deep

THE first summer in the sea with the aqualung was a memorable time. It was 1943, the middle of a war in my occupied country, but in the delight of diving we thought nothing of these improbable circumsances. Living in Villa Barry were Dumas; Tailliez, his wife and child; Claude Houlbreque, the cinematographer, and his wife; Simone and I and our two children. Frequent guests were Roger Gary and his wife. He was an old personal friend, the director of a Marseilles paint factory. To the occupying troops we must have seemed a wistful holiday party.

Thi first requirement of diving was to feed our band of twelve. Tailliez went to the country and returned with five hundred pounds of dried beans, which we stored in the coal bin and ate for breakfast, lunch and dinner, with an occasional maggot to break the monotony. Diving burns more calories than working in a steel mil. We managed to get "heavy worker" ration cards which allowed a few grams of butter and more bread. Meat was a rarity. We ate few fish. We calculated that in our weakened physical conditions an undersea hunter would burn more calories chasing and fighting a fish than his portion of the game would restore...*
But those fish they did get (with home-made spearguns), they ate. I'm pretty sure the leftovers went to the ground to fertilize vegetable gardens too. I once shot a wolf eel (wolf fish, in the 1960s) that was so ugly we didn't eat it, but buried it in Mom's garden. That summer we had rubarb with leaves over 1.5 meters long (8-9 feet long). So context to these films is important.

We now know that these activities were also used by this group to observe the Nazi ship movements and report these to the French underground resistance, which ultimately got to the Allies.

SeaRat
*Cousteau, J.Y., with Frederic Dumas, The Silent World, Harper & Brothers Publishers, New York, 1950, 1953, page 21 (photos page 2-3 of the first photo section to this book).

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom