How many people won't dive with a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LoneGunman:
Do most divers not want to dive with new divers? I've had two experienced divers tell me they won't dive with others unless they are AOW and rescue certified divers. How common is this? I'm planning on getting the AOW and rescue diver (i'm a former EMT) but I'd like to dive in between.

Diving solo seems frowned upon. I realise the dangers of going deep solo but what about beach dives in 20 feet or so if I have someone on the beach keeping an eye on me?

:crafty: It is sad but true, I have see this allot in the years I have been diving... more "Experienced" divers many times act like they own the water and all new divers should be at there in aww of them. Sorry but there are some real jerks in this sport. I have been diving since 1989 and would take a new diver anyday. It is sad to think people get so full of themselves they can't help new people with the sport.

Rich

LoneGunman:
Do most divers not want to dive with new divers? I've had two experienced divers tell me they won't dive with others unless they are AOW and rescue certified divers. How common is this? I'm planning on getting the AOW and rescue diver (i'm a former EMT) but I'd like to dive in between.

Diving solo seems frowned upon. I realise the dangers of going deep solo but what about beach dives in 20 feet or so if I have someone on the beach keeping an eye on me?

Most agencies teach that solo diving is wrecklessness. In most cases, it is true.

Diving with a buddy of your own level in diving environments equal to both of your skill is fair and safe for both buddies. If you are diving with a buddy with more experience than you, he/she needs to remember to dive in environments that do not exceed your level. Some advanced divers might find that boring, but that is the price.

As was said, I believe by SueMermaid and others, for those who enjoy treating new divers to new experiences and watching their fascination, diving with a less experienced diver can be fun. Since we cannot all be Gary Gentile's dive buddy, might as well have fun introducing newer divers to new experiences.

So you just need to ask around. Not everyone will avoid you because you are the FNG. Although some will.

jkennedy:
Old divers smell!!!!!
Just had my wife do a check. Looks like I'm still new. :eyebrow:
Actually, I don't think the "New vs. Experienced" diver is a black and white issue. Like one day you're a Newby, and the next you're experienced. There are divers well on both sides of me, and some times I'm the experienced old (but fresh scented) diver, and sometimes I'm the new guy. I've made dives with some guys on this board where, after the dive, I've felt like I should have brought my water-wings with me (child's flotation device). I've learned so much from diving with these more experienced guys, it'll take me MANY dives to apply it all. And I also make dives every week with divers who have less than 50 dives.
Last night I took Dylan (15 dives) to Boulder Beach where I've made many dives. He couldn't stop playing with the crayfish (I've stopped noticing them), and kept pointing out stuff like the washing machine, the bike parts, and the other trash we all know, like he was discovering treasure. He made the the area feel new for me again by sharing his joy in what had become mundane for me.
New diver, old dive or somewhere between, I get something good from ever dive!

I have dove with many of different divers with different levels over the years.

My sons are teenage divers. I think they have their own category.

This new teenage diver has far less fear and more comfort then many of the other divers I have dove with.

It's quite amazing to dive with teens.

They are as fun to dive with, and watch, as two baby dolphins or seals. The wrestle underwater, pulls each others regs out, pull each others fins off..all with comfort and joy.

The whole thread of "new divers" and "experienced divers" interests me.

If a diver has,say, 450 dives, none below 50 feet, all in water 82F with 200' visibility, is s/he more experienced than a diver that has 50 dives that include several at 60'+, visibility of >3', temperatures below 70F, strong currents, surges, etc.? And just for kicks and giggles, let's throw in that the 50 dive diver has handled a couple of OOA situations.

This probably constitutes a troll, but, in my opinion, so does the definition of "experienced".

MB104:
Now THATS what we're talking about!

I guess you didn't see my point, or I didn't make it clear enough to see.
I think even if a diver is new, they can have the comfort level of a dolphin in the water. It's not always about how many dives you have logged.

I think there is a great deal of difference between the frequency of dives and experience gained from dives made.

Back
Top Bottom