How many sessions did you take to pass OW certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I did my OW as a referral. I had 4 CW. I was asked during the 3rd CW if I would complete all the skills during that session, but said no I would prefer to do an extra session, which the LDS agreed to without complaints. What helped me getting thru with a relative few CW’s was that I had trained mask removal, weight belt removal, fining etc. doing snorkelling and that I years before got almost through the all the OW CW’s before I had to quit because of work aboard. I did 4 OW.

To sum up:
2 evenings with theory + examines
4 CW
4 OW

I did self study. This was prior to the PADI e-learning system.

We had a couple hour of classroom where we had a review, and took the chapter tests.

We spent the remainder of the first day in the water (5 - 6 hrs).

We had a brief review and Q&A followed by the final.

We spent the remainder of the second day in the water (5 - 6 hrs).

We did 3 OW checkout dives on day 1 (Sat), and the 4th OW dive on Sun at the Blue Hole, NM. We were then certified. :eyebrow:

The LDS offered this over a weekend (2 days) Or over 2 weekends (1 day a weekend) or over 4 weeknights Plus one weekend for CO dives. I did the class over 2 weekends.

I did my OW cert over two weekends. The First Friday evening we had class and then again on Saturday morning. We were in the pool for the CW exercises from 10am-6pm. On Sunday we did a review and were in the pool to finish the CW exercises, we were in the pool from 9am-6pm.
The next weekend we did 3 OW dives on Saturday and 3 more on Sunday. We also had some time left for a "fun dive" before we ran out of air. It was easy in the pool, but very tiring in the OW portion, i was just about totally exhausted Sunday afternoon when we got done around 5pm.
Sounds like your time and mine were similar experiences.

why is everyone's experience so different? Doesn't PADI or SSI have certain standards to get a c-card? For example, I'm getting certified through SSI but to do so requires 30 hours class/pool work (about 15 hours each) plus 4 OW dives. Sounds like others it's much less to get the same cert. Not complaining, I've actually logged additional pool time to practice, just curious.

Did the PADI eLearning. Quick review at the shop, then off to the beach for the CW skills. Actually did all the CW dives in about 3.5 hours. We would do the skills in 10ft at the beach, surface, talk about the dive, then go back down to do the next one. Did the first 2 OW dives that afternoon. Then finished the rest the next day. I got one-on-one training which probably speed things up. I did have to repeat a couple of skills, but we just worked at it until I got it.

why is everyone's experience so different? Doesn't PADI or SSI have certain standards to get a c-card? For example, I'm getting certified through SSI but to do so requires 30 hours class/pool work (about 15 hours each) plus 4 OW dives. Sounds like others it's much less to get the same cert. Not complaining, I've actually logged additional pool time to practice, just curious.

All the agencies have minimum standards, but they really are "minimums."

It all depends on whether your instructor/shop is working towards separating the largest possible number of people from as much money as possible in as short a time as possible, or if they're looking to take a hit up front on the instruction, create happy, safe divers and make up the money later in equipment, travel and air sales from repeat business.

Oddly enough, they're both right.

The divers who received inadequate training tend to stop diving almost immediately and don't buy much, but the shop expects this, and the fast classes allow for high volume, so the shop makes their money up front.

The divers who receive sufficient training tend to lose money on training (or just break even), but dive as long as they're physically able, so the shop (theoretically) makes up any training losses in equipment, air fills and travel.

The internet has tossed a huge money wrench into this business model, since people can now easily book their own trips and buy equipment online, so at some point, I expect to see the actual cost of the class reflected in it's price; ie. competition will drive the price of the fast classes down, while the longer classes will need to charge more to cover their actual costs.

flots.

It all depends on whether your instructor/shop is working towards separating the largest possible number of people from as much money as possible in as short a time as possible, or if they're looking to take a hit up front on the instruction, create happy, safe divers and make up the money later in equipment, travel and air sales from repeat business.

flots.

fascinating. It appears I got lucky then, or my neighbor who recommended my LDS was looking out for me, but where I'm getting certified they actually care about my comfort level. I had no idea (thus the lucky part). Thanks flots.

I went through SSI (girldiver.com). We had a bunch of online training, took me 4-6 hours to go through, 4 hours of pool time on a friday, and sat/sunday 8:30-4pm was classroom and 2 dives per day. Our class was 3 divers and 1-instructor. I was very pleased with the level of instruction, plus Cindy's (our instructor) patience in dealing with an overly analytical, OCD, anal retentive PITA... :)

why is everyone's experience so different? Doesn't PADI or SSI have certain standards to get a c-card?

The standard PADI course doesn't always comply with local legislation. There is a legal requirement here to do minimum 6 dives to become a certified diver. No nitrox for OW, and minimum one dive is to be planned to 20m. The candidates must according to law "reach a level of proficiency which makes them able to handle the conditions they are likely to meet when certified", which translates to "must be proficient in a drysuit".

However, there aren't any laws requiring recreational divers to be certified...

Funny... I remember when we (me and the wife) started... I told her and then told the instructor that I wanted to so slow and wanted to really learn this stuff cause it could be dangerous...

We had our first evening of lecture followed by the initial pool work with the instructor... We had just finished the required swim and float when we were allowed to put on the gear for the first time. The instructor was with us and told us to say shallow as in 4' and was keeping an eye on the two of us... So we started goofing around as in clearing our mask, buddy breathing off same reg, and just getting comfortable in the gear when we noticed the instructor watching us with his arms crossed... He was giving us "that" look and then gave us the thumb to surface... So we did and said "whats up?" He said "OK... so how fast do you want to do this...???"

It was pretty funny as we were just playing around in the moment... I told him I still wanted to go slow because I really did want to learn it well and besides, my wife was doing this with me as well... I don't know... maybe he was a bit concerned that slow to us was maybe 3 months... lol

We finished up after 4 or so classes that were an hour and some of lecture and 1 plus hour of pool work... and the really nice thing is we are still able to join in the pool to work on whatever if they have a class... Even offer to supply us with the air! Nice gesture still we bring our own tanks but its been some time since we took advantage of this...

lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom