How many spools and reels...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So far I tend to do a primary reel for the team (200' is what we typically bring for FL caves, though 400' is available if called for), a safety (150' spool), then one more spool than I plan to use on the dive.

I keep a safety spool in my pouch and bring whatever I'm planning on using for the dive plus one extra spool. This means on dives that I am not running the team lines, I'll have the safety spool in the pouch and one jump spool on my butt attachment. If I'm running the lines on a two jump dive, I'll have the primary and three jump spools on the butt.

Occasionally I will use my 200 ft reel for a long jump, but mostly it stays in the car.

My bag ‘o reels has 400’ primaries, 250’ jumps, and 100’ safety spools. Minimum: 2 safety spools (no jumps not leading) and usually carry a Justin Case jump reel. Add primary (400’ unless I know 250’ will do), plus 1 jump reel/jump. I butt clip ‘em.

The team needs a primary to get from open water to gold line. The sidewinders don’t jam as bad (if at all?). Then each member needs a safety spool for emergencies such as lost line, line patching, lost diver or just extra line to tie a fin on or something. Other than that the number of spools (or reels if you want bulk that can jam) depends on the planned dive. I like light and simple so i usually have a 150’ safety spool and unless the dive has long jumps ill try to use cookie spools or 50’ spools for everything. I also have no problem letting each member carry a few of what we plan to use and share them when the time comes so no one diver is carrying a cluster of stuff.

Was looking at some vids of cave diving and noticed that some people have quite the bundle and others not so much. So when you dive in caves. What do you bring along? I notice most classes seem to want a reel of 400', 150' Spool, and 1-3 100' spools. Is that the average? I realize that distance, location, goals will change the amount but...
Take three if you're diving solo, if you're diving in a team, you can leave the primary reel behind. 400' reel is perfect unless you're doing expeditions.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom