How many tech "solo" divers are on the solo forum?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CamG

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Sorry everyone but this has been bouncing in my mind for a bit.
I am not sure why the upwelling of splitting forums has come about but not only on SB but other places as well.
No offense to starting a new forum or for other types of diving / clubs just interested in how many Solo divers do tech dives?

I really think the number is small in some respects and in others far more than we all realize.
I know when my buddy was unable to dive a wreck we chartered to the captain told me to go ahead and dive.
I did it was a fantastic dive one of the most peaceful to date, even the deco was pleasant as I was alone on the line.

Also a few very conservative cave dives that were not long by any means with very clear objectives.
When asked about if I was outside my training these dives were very planned with clear limits.
What I have found is that when I dive Solo Tech or Rec there is a different mentality all together embodies me.
I plan on ALL contingencies to be handled or I alter the plan.
The focus on the dive is to a level that I never quite reach diving with a buddy.

I do not purposely shun dive buddies I have not encountered a dive yet that a buddy would jeopardize.
But then again my buddy list is short on all overhead / deco environments.
I enjoy diving with others but have learned that I like to hang alone as well.
It offers a rare opportunity to be mono -e- mono with your maker!
In our world today those moments are far to rare!

CamG Keep Diving....Keep Training....Keep Learning!

First you have to define tech dives. By some definitions that are floating around tech dives cannot be solo while others define solo as a form of technical diving. Are you going to use depth, duration, decompression, equipment configuration, certification???

This is probably off topic (sorry). I solo dive but I am not a tech diver. Wouldn't rebreather divers who do overhead, wreck, cave, etc by default be solo tech? I mean, aren't you basically diving solo in a group in that case as you don't really have an octo to hand off (I know that bing a buddy is more then hauling around extra air).

I'm just saying, not being a techincal guy or a rebreather guy I see that type of diving as really having to be self sufficient.

I define a tech dive as a dive without direct access to the surface whether that be by deco obligations, overhead environment, or imminent entanglement. That entanglement one is for recreational divers pretending to be commercial divers, BTW, cleaning nets out of wheels, etc.

So. Solo diving by certified solo divers is a recreational activity by definition. The 2 agencies that certify solo divers (PADI and SDI) state very clearly that solo diving is for recreational divers. If you are asking who is a certified technical diver who dives solo recreationally, I fall in that category.

Every technical class I have taken has taught me to be self sufficient. Self sufficient diving is the epitome of solo diving, and I personally have no issues with folks who choose to use their self sufficient skills to go make an overhead dive with a buddy or not. It must be clear, however, that no training agency condones such behavior, nor do insurance companies, nor do State agencies (the folks who own and manage the springs) or the general public.

While I have nothing against solo tech diving, my insurance company frowns on such activity, therefore, officially, I do too.

Thanks Wookie that was the definition I was meaning.
Sorry if I was vague and this thread is not to divide any forum or type of diving that anyone does.
Just curious about what others are out there doing dives without direct access to the surface SOLO.

CamG

Does "Not a technical diver" mean that you are Not a card carrier? I have done just about every kind of tech diving throughout the years, but I do not have all the cert cards that identify me as such. I have Nitrox, (necessary course) AOW, (a waste of time and money) and of course Solo. (most of it--common sense) I carry these cards only because they unlock certain areas that are closed to OW rec. divers, such as my local dive hole. To dive the "deep side" (138'), or to solo the quarry, I have to carry an AOW and/or solo card or I'm locked out. That's the only reason I paid over $400 to obtain these cards. I use to dive (outlaw) this quarry in the early 80's long before it was commercialized. Also, because of insurance purposes, even some dive ops are requiring AOW to dive certain areas like the Belize Blue Hole. IMO, just because you carry all the tech cards, doesn't make you a tech diver. Empirical learning and especially experience, experience, experience are the real qualifiers. I know I'm speaking from a different generational mindset, so please don't beat me up too bad. You young guys out there (most of you are young) were brought up in diving that nothing new is to be done without first being certified for it. ie. night diving, dry suit diving, cavern diving, {not cave-you need instruction for this activity) no deco deep diving (61'+), and others. My close diving friends know I have a standard joke: "it won't be long and you will have to get pee-valve certified before you can install one in your dry suit." (I hope PADI doesn't read this; it might give them ideas.) To save me from getting too many rants, let me be clear: Nitrox, and Advanced Nitrox, Tri-mix, CCR, Cave, and wreck deep penetration diving all require training from those who know. Why? because empirical learning in these cases could kill you. When I first started diving, if someone told me that recreational divers (those that don't make a living at it) would be diving to 250-300' for long periods of time, I would have said "NO WAY." But, here we are. BTW, yesterday, I did a very relaxing solo at my local dive hole for 68 min., max. depth of 85' (oops, but I'm not deep certified)---Ok, my bad.

I am not sure why the upwelling of splitting forums has come about ... on SB....

CamG,

I sense frustration at what seems to be the barrage of technical diving solutions perpetually offered by advanced- and technical divers, for decidedly non-advanced and non-technical diving scenarios. This is why I began the recent thread regarding splitting the Solo Divers forum.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Last edited:
I am both a tech diver (defined as certified to dive deeper than 130 feet and use various mixes to execute both bottom and decompression phases of the dive) and a solo diver (defined as one who routinely dives without a buddy/team). I am comfortable diving with a buddy/team, though I do not always. My general opinion is that I am usually solo diving even if I'm solo diving with other people who are also solo diving, especially on tech dives.

I'm tech certified - which implies self-sufficiency. And I'm solo certified through SDI - a recreational cert.

I'll conduct limited solo cave dives in systems which I'm familiar in good conditions (low flow - good vis - not likely to silt out). I'll also conduct some planned deco - planning such that I provide my own redundancy (i.e. - if I loose my deco gas - I can complete deco on backgas.) Same story for wreck penetration.

I usually carry a stage bottle as a buddy - in case my manifold fails. No pinnacle dives - staying within my comfort zone.

Bjorn

NACD full cave
PSAI full cave
TDI deco

I solo, and I do tech dives, but I have yet to do a solo tech dive.

I am still working out in my own head how I would approach solo technical diving. Until then, I won't venture into that realm. Although I think I would be very comfortable doing solo cave dives on the main goldline with limited penetration. My biggest concern is changing to deco mixes solo, and switch depths.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom