How many would consider using a tether when diving with a loved one?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can understand your idea for the tether but I think ultimately it would be safer if you just have your wife get more dives in and get that experience level up and keep practicing in shallow water. . I think tethering would be an added complication that would get you both hurt.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

A number of off topic Posts have been removed. If you wish to debate spearfishing, in whatever form, feel free to start your own Thread.

… How many of you would consider using some type of tether when diving with a loved one?...

I wouldn’t consider using it with an enemy, especially a coil. Even with far more skill and training than the vast majority of divers have on this board, two US Navy divers died in-part due to their tether.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...s-1-year-ago-finally-released-under-foia.html

First make sure you are a safe solo diver, then focus all your attention on your wife. Your entire job is to keep her safe until you are confident that she no longer needs a full-time dive tender. Leave her leash at home, you will both be safer.

If the viz is THAT bad, I just wouldn't dive... but then I live within blocks of the ocean and I dive solo anyway

I call it a buddy cord. I use it with a buddy if visibility is extremely limited - 2 meters or less. It should be held in my opinion, not clipped or tied on unless with a break away knot.
DivemasterDennis

I've been reading this with some curious feelings... First of all, as one pointed out... in very few other matters, "Scubaboard" is oddly unanimous!
Secondly... Have you asked your wife? I don't know her experience, but your profile states 50-100 dives (Which is what I normally do from January to May...) If my guy had suggested this to me, I would have slapped him over the head and said "Get Real"!

The scenarios you are suggesting are the types that show up when you either don't make a plan, or you plan a dive that you are/or might not be proficient enough to do.
Plan your dives properly! Review divesite topography and possibility of current/silt. Revise your risk acceptance factor!!! (This is the biggest one for me...) If it looks gnarly... well don't do it...

And foremost... if your camera is the problem you can't stay together, either communicate better on land and make a better plan, or ditch the camera.

Oddly enough, I want to share what happened after today's dive. Viz was 10 to 15 not to bad in the La jolla canyon. Depth was 65 to 70 feet. We had a good dive and I did take the buddy line with me and had it in my pocket. Everything was great and it was pretty calm at that depth. As part of our dive plan we stayed at that depth until one of us reached 1500 ( its usually her) and we proceeded east towards shore. On our way in we experienced a pretty strong surge.

For a minute, I thought as the surge was making staying together kind of difficult, wow this would be a good time to use this buddy line. But then I remembered your post. I thought she is going to think I'm nuts.Probably wack me up side my head! Instead I chose to hold her hand and this actually felt like the right choice. I used my intuition to find the right answer on how to best approach the situation. I made her dive more pleasant and it did not create any unneeded stress. She actually said after the dive that I haven't held her hand that long for a long time. She really liked it!

I am one who really is not into holding hands while diving or, I really shouldn't divulge this , or on land. But if this helps to relieve the stresses of continually checking where she is, then I guess holding hands is not a bad solution. Who knows if I do it enough in the water I might do it more on land!!!

I know experience and training is key in avoiding most situations. But there are those rare instances where being separated is the one factor that prevents you from being able to assist your spouse with what ever problem they are facing. Being there when needed is paramount for me. For those who find holding hands pretty normal I think that's great! I am going to try and make this one of my better habits.

I am a pretty slow learner as you can gather, but I do have an open mind and do appreciate everyone's comments.

Frank G

Never ever.... If you need that much control.... You should not be in the water...

First make sure you are a safe solo diver, then focus all your attention on your wife. Your entire job is to keep her safe until you are confident that she no longer needs a full-time dive tender. Leave her leash at home, you will both be safer.
That's a very odd way of seeing it I'd say. My recommendation would simply be:
- get her to do some proper training
- get proper training as well
- have fun

Hand holding may well be a crutch that serves as an impediment to the development of your wife's own confidence and competence. If the visibility turns to garbage, then hand holding might be wise to avoid separation.

If people want to hold hands because they "like it", I see no problem with it. If one or both divers "need" it- then that is not desirable. Again, the best thing you can do for your wife's safety is expand her competence and comfort and independent skills - those things will make her safer - not being attached at the hip to her buddy. At least in the long term.

In a surge situation, and 10-15 ft visibility, I would think it best to have each diver separated, so they can independently move in synchronicity with the frequency of the wave motion. Connecting two people together in this conditions - or even hand holding, may cause more problems and limits the diver's ability to use both hands to hold onto the bottom and work through a surge.

Pfft. I would never be seen taking hold of my wife's hand when we're diving. I would "establish touch contact." :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom