How much back weight needed in Stiletto BC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDawg007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All,

What would be the normal percentage of weight to place in the back of a Zeagle Stiletto BC ?

I normaly use a weight belt with about twelve pounds. I was thinking two 4lbs in the front of the Stiletto, and two 2lbs in the back.

Does that sound about right?

It's almost impossible to make this recommendation. It will depend on your physiology; cylinder size, material & placement; and your exposure suit.

For me I can use 28#, in a drysuit with an AL80 with 10# of the weight in the rear pockets. The same suit with a steel 120, I only use the 18# in the front for the best trim. Everything changes in my various wetsuits.

Your goal is to be properly weighted, have ditchable weight and perfect horizontal trim. Go to a pool, take a bunch of small sized weights and experiment. You might also find you'd have better trim by adding weight pouches on the upper tank band rather than using the low pouches Zeagle provides with the BC.

Hi miesemer,

I dive with a AL80, with no wetsuit. From your above answer I think I might be close.
I know the only real way to know for sure is to dive it, but I wanted to get a better idea of how much more I needed to buy, since I will be purchasing for my wife as well.

ScubaDawg007:
Hi All,

What would be the normal percentage of weight to place in the back of a Zeagle Stiletto BC ?

I normaly use a weight belt with about twelve pounds. I was thinking two 4lbs in the front of the Stiletto, and two 2lbs in the back.

Does that sound about right?

I use about the same currently.
No back weights, half in the BC, the remaining on a weight belt for good reason.

Some will say no more than 1/3 of your weight should be in the back..why, I don't know.

I am the same as miesemer using my Brigade.

crpntr133:
Some will say no more than 1/3 of your weight should be in the back..why, I don't know.

Mainly because back weight is not ditchable, it will also tend to make you top heavy and less stable in the water.

Pete

A little off topic. I have a Stiletto. Fine BC. I put my trim weights on the upper band using a pair of XS scuba pockets I picked up for about 12 bucks for the pair. Weight worked better for me higher up.
I then used the big ditchable trim pockets for storage of DSMB etc.

I find a 60/40 ratio seems to work for me. 40% in the back. If you are buying weights, consider buying some of your weight in smaller sizes. 2- 2's instead of 1-4. You end up with the same weight but have a better choice when making fine adjustments.

Splitlip:
A little off topic. I have a Stiletto. Fine BC. I put my trim weights on the upper band using a pair of XS scuba pockets I picked up for about 12 bucks for the pair. Weight worked better for me higher up.
I then used the big ditchable trim pockets for storage of DSMB etc.

I to have moved my trim pouches to the upper band. Just couldn't get horizontal with an AL80 and the trim pouches on the lower band. They don't stay put like when they are on the bottom but it works once the band is tight.

If you don't want to buy the extra trim pouches then buy a few feet of weight belt webbing and a buckle. You can strap the weight anyplace you want on the tank.

Back
Top Bottom