How much do you know about masks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

XPATMANX

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello. Im just curious on why we use toothpaste to clean our mask when they are purchased? Also i was curious on knowing why people say not to use a toothpaste with baking soda in it. If you know any answers to those 2 questions feel free to reply :)

It will clean off manufacturing oils. But why stop with one application?

I use it before every dive. Just the plain old fashioned Crest. Never, ever fogs.

Had it in a Zodiac full of hard core serious divers a few months ago. Passed it around and without comment, everyone took a dab before every dive and worked it in before rinsing.

Never, ever fogs.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.jpg
    DSC_0013.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 40
hello. Im just curious on why we use toothpaste to clean our mask when they are purchased? Also i was curious on knowing why people say not to use a toothpaste with baking soda in it. If you know any answers to those 2 questions feel free to reply :)

toothpaste is just abraqsive enough to clean the lens real well without scratching them. I would guess baking soda is either too abrasive, or maybe reacts badly with silicone.

BTW once initially cleaned, spit works just as well for keeping the mask fog free. Never have issues in 10 years.

BTW once initially cleaned, spit works just as well for keeping the mask fog free. Never have issues in 10 years.

Plus, you never forget to bring it with you. :)

The face plate (or lense) of a SCUBA mask must be cleaned when you buy it because it has residual silicone and oil from the manufacturing process on it. If you don't clean it off you will never be able to get the lense to de-fog.

Crest probably works so well as a de-fog because one of the main ingredients is kelp.

We always recommend using a children's toothpaste to clean a new mask, since it's less abrasive than most adult toothpastes. The baking soda can potentially scratch the lens.

Back
Top Bottom