How much do you need to know to help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

All of the above are good ideas but it can be as simple as the two of you going to a site that you know will be an easy dive on the right tide and fair seas. Being at your level you can relate to her concerns and you should have a fine time. This is like jumping out of the nest for the first time and I know I had to pinch myself to remind me that yes finally after waiting 30 years too long I can grab that pile of gear load it in my car and slip beneath the waves with a buddy. I think you'll be amazed at how much you can do to put her at ease, have fun.

If it really really doesn't feel right then there's always safety in numbers.

One final question.... did you have the same instructor and are you confident that she has been well trained? If you aren't confident in her training then have her return to her instructor or seek out a DM or other instructor for gap closing.

Pete

Seems simple doesn't it? In theory an OW certification qualifies you to independantly plan and conduct OW dives in conditions similar to those in which you were trained.

If the students doesn't feel they are at that point then the class probably shouldn't be over yet.

When teaching, not only must I pass the student but the student must agree with my assessment and pass themself.

Just do it, however as said before keep it simple the first time as you realize what you have done it will expand your confidence and make you better divers. Each
time you get in the water it helps.

When I was first certified I dove with guys who have been certified longer with less dives and never even thought about it. Just having a buddy was enough. :D

Back
Top Bottom