How much does it pay to be divemaster in PH ??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIVEMASTER PAY FORMULA: 16 hour workday @ no PAY plus 4 hours studying every night for four weeks divided by the number times your instructor says "YOU ARE WRONG" minus the number of time your instructor says "YOU ARE RIGHT" equals a DIVEMASTER CANDIDATE that might get enough money for food. Other than that, leave the DIVEMASTER jobs to the locals. They are much better at it!

Hi Babydamulag I never expect it to pay more than a place to live and food.
I ask that becoz i love diving and i love the phils

And on your respect , exept knowing the spots . I dont see how and why the locals would be much better at it than other nationality.

''leave the DIVEMASTER jobs to the locals. They are much better at it!''

And on your respect , exept knowing the spots . I dont see how and why the locals would be much better at it than other nationality.

Because they've been doing it much longer than you have! They dive every day, several times a day. I've met one with more than 10 000 dives... And he knows every freaking species of fish and invertebrate there is around there as well as their ecology and behaviour. He's basically a self tought marine biologist and can find you pretty much any critter you want to find (if it's there).

It will be a long long time before you can rack up enough experience on the local reefs to compare to these guys!:coffee: That's pretty much why "Instructor" is the way to go if you want any chance of finding work...

Cheers!:coffee:

I do agree that they are very good and knowledgeble. I was extremely please whit the philipino Dm i had. But for exemple to me over 7 Dm the best i had was a german.

Anyways I do understand what you mean, I am not arguing about philipino skills.
Ive dive whit enough philipino to know they are good ... :p

I just found is comment a little discriminatory...
I am just saying is not a matter of blood or nationality
like they are the only one to have water and tropical reef...

I understand techno and agree... I don't think BabyD meant it that way... I mean it,s not like Philipinos have gills or something... Do they??:eyebrow:

No matter what your nationality is, you need to know the dive site inside out to be a good DM. And the locals who have been working for a while obviously have an advantage for that!

Cheers!:coffee:

hehe don't mind BabyD, technobro. His brashness is just the way he is. :) He doesn't mean it in a bad way and he gets over things very easily.

I do agree you'll make a better living in the PI as an instructor. DMs work on a local salary, that's why many shops tend to hire locals. Not only is it economical for the shop, that is the way dive shops support the locals - many of the local DMs come from simple fishing villages/towns and becoming a DM guide is a sense of pride for them and their family.

For PG specific info, I'm pretty sure Asia Divers in PG has an internship program. I met a girl from holland doing it. For long term accomodations, check out sunsplash resort. Also, PM Matt Reed for more info, as he is the dive shop manager for Atlantis Resort in Dumaguete (formerly in PG). As for the WiFi, you are correct - Batangas should have good net connection. Although I would be more worried about catching the boat over to Batangas if the weather is bad! But don't worry, the wifi in PG is decent.

There is currently a couple living in dumaguete doing what you want to do - doing internet work while living and diving there. I can't remember their username, but check out the recent dumaguete threads for some info.

And just to let you know, you have an added asset of speaking both English AND FRENCH (ie a whole chunk of European divers!). That in itself is a plus for dive shops wanting to take you on. Well, if you want to count Quebecois as French....lol just kidding. :)

Hope that helps.

Well, if you want to count Quebecois as French....lol just kidding. :)

Calisse de Tabarnak!!!!!:D:D Cool Chip! I can tell you off in quebecois and this site doesn't censure it! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Cheers!:D

Last edited:
Brashness.....NO!!!
*burp* <gulp, gulp> "Political correctnes is for the weak and timid!" *burp* "Take it or leave it....that's what I say!" <leaning over on one cheek.......brrrriiippppp> <gulp, gulp> "Where is that rude (bastos) and obnoxious JAG at when I need him?"

Last edited:
And just to let you know, you have an added asset of speaking both English AND FRENCH (ie a whole chunk of European divers!). Well, if you want to count Quebecois as French....lol just kidding. :)

No idea why you think i am french qc , Kalis :p

Well thanks everyone for the light. (Babydamulag include :))

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom