How much experience?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxPower

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am considering taking a cavern/intro to cave course next summer and will probably have approximately 40 dives @ that time, many of which are cold and beyond 70'. The prerequisite is 25 dives. I feel comfortable in the water and can't stop dreaming of caves. Has anyone else out here started training with so few dives? How did you fare?

It probably depends a bit on your basic skills and comfort rather then number of dives.

From what I understand of cavern classes, it will do nothing but improve your skills.

I did my first guided cavern dives in the Mexican caves in March. I had over 300 dives at that point, and I was terribly embarrassed at how the cave environment showed me the weak places in my skills. Buoyancy is critical in caves, as is knowing the size and shape of your "underwater body". Excellent light discipline is crucial, even in guided tours.

You might consider taking a class like GUE Fundamentals first -- You can do that where you are, or nearby, and it will give you a solid reality check for your readiness to approach overhead environments.

MaxPower:
I am considering taking a cavern/intro to cave course next summer and will probably have approximately 40 dives @ that time, many of which are cold and beyond 70'. The prerequisite is 25 dives. I feel comfortable in the water and can't stop dreaming of caves. Has anyone else out here started training with so few dives? How did you fare?

It depends a lot on a couple things.
Why are you taking the course? If it is for knowledge you can't lose; you can only get more skill. In my opinion no one should take any class for the "C card" once they are certified at the basic level.

How well does the instructor's teaching method match you? If the instructor's motto is: Gotta Break 'em down to Build 'em Up like this was an elite military operation and you need a Teacher you won't get as much as if there was a better match.

But, no matter what your diving will improve; and that is the goal, eh?

MaxPower:

My wife did cavern at 25. That said, her first 25 dives were with a bunch of cave divers (including her OW class itself). She wanted doubles at dive 12 and got them for dive 15. She did full cave at 70 dives and as of now, half her lifetime dives are in overheads. I'm blessed. She asks me when we can next go cave diving!

I'm thinking that would be a non-typical approach to diving. I doubt you could mass-market that approach (But I see a lot of people trying), and it certainly has nothing to do with the OP's position as I understand it. He didn't train with any cave divers :). But now I am just showing my jealously of you having a cave diving wife :) lol.

OP, I've also seen people get full cave with less that 100 dives with almost nill doubles experience and precious little skill at all (AFAIC), and I've seen people that were Padi DM's (reference is only for number of dives and general comfort level's sake etc) squeek by with Intro and not allowed to continue.

Max, you and I live fairly close to each other and I see you know where Gullivers is.

My dive slate is jambed full for the next month at least, but if you are interested in keeping in touch and one day tooling around off of Hwy6, I'll go for a dip with you and give you one guy's opinion on where you're at skills-wise and possibly some other suggestions will come out as well.

Contact me via my web-site as I am taking a vacation for a bit, if you're interested. Do not PM.

i would say get some more dives in .25 loged dives i dont think that would be a good thing go threw with somemore classes get out and dive some sites i took my cavern class i had like 500 to 1000 dives and i though i was ready but let me tell you it was a hole new ball game then intro its a lot of diving. full cave you dont want to know ..
but it is worth the money the time the trainning... LET ME BE THE FIRST TO TELL YOU DONT RUSH IT TAKE YOUR TIME TRUST ME THE CAVES WILL STILL BE THEIR BUT THATS MY .02 CENTS:wink:

in_cavediver:
My wife did cavern at 25. That said, her first 25 dives were with a bunch of cave divers (including her OW class itself). She wanted doubles at dive 12 and got them for dive 15. She did full cave at 70 dives and as of now, half her lifetime dives are in overheads. I'm blessed. She asks me when we can next go cave diving!
Dude you are SOOOOO LUCKY!!!!

willardj:
Dude you are SOOOOO LUCKY!!!!

It is a double edged sword though. Have you priced a pair of CCR's or a pair of scooters! You know, if I got only one, it would be 'Thanks honey, that's so SWEEET!'

in_cavediver:
It is a double edged sword though. Have you priced a pair of CCR's or a pair of scooters! You know, if I got only one, it would be 'Thanks honey, that's so SWEEET!'
I do understand that.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom