How much extra weight??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
I am just starting to get my bouyancy worked out with my 3mm shorty/farmer john combo. I am now going to try my new 5mm combo.

Any guesses on how much extra weight is required to move from the 3mm to 5mm?

Thanks in advance.

i would slowely add weight till you get your bouncy right .everybody is different so what might work for me might not work for you .i always go to the lake and do a bouyancy check if i have changed my wet suite config

derrick

I posted a chart on the following thread:

http://www.scubaboard.com/t61010.html

Of course, a buoyancy check is required to fine tune, but the chart gives some good starting points.

If you know your weight requirements for 3mm, then check it against the chart for 3mm. If the chart isn't the same as what you're actually using, it will at least give you an idea of the offset that you can apply to the chart for 5mm. Again, as a starting point for your actual in-water buoyancy check.

I keep a copy of the chart in my dive log.

capelli:
i would slowely add weight till you get your bouncy right .everybody is different so what might work for me might not work for you .i always go to the lake and do a bouyancy check if i have changed my wet suite config

derrick
Don't forget that you are more buoyant in salt water than in fresh, so lake checks will not work for sea diving.

While your size would be a significant variable as well as the type neoprene involved, I suggest you start by adding 4 lb (that assumes you are, like me, in the XL group) and adjusting from there. If you are more like a size small, you might cut that down to 3 lb right from the start. I base that on my XL 3mm 2-piece having a bouyancy of 8 lb while my wife's is 6-lb bouyant. Then I used a proportional scaling for the 3 vs 5 mm.

mavjax:
I am just starting to get my bouyancy worked out with my 3mm shorty/farmer john combo. I am now going to try my new 5mm combo.

Any guesses on how much extra weight is required to move from the 3mm to 5mm?

Thanks in advance.

If you were minimally weighted in your 3mm suit, you'll need about another six pounds for a 5mm suit,, but that's only an slightly informed guess.

Back
Top Bottom