How much gas in case of accidental deco.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, maybe also a problem with my definition of "theoretical". All the course theory online and a couple of simulated deco dives in a quarry remains my definition of "in theory only".

However, this is a great way for a recreational diver to expand one's safety horizons in an entirely acceptable way. Again, my opinion...

My first exprience of technical diving was with Mark Powell in an icy UK lake. We didn't do any actual deco. I then spent the next year applying that training, and settling into diving doubles - no deco at all. Was a great foundation for later tech courses... and was great diving at the time also.

I never said that I had a problem with the course or how it is presented. I see it as quite a progressive approach to dive training as it serves both rec and tec divers' needs quite nicely. From a tech diver's point of view, one should probably take Into to Tech first.

I still see "Decompression Procedures" as a great opportunity for rec divers to come to terms with the unknown horrors of "accidental" deco :)confused:) and maybe even more importantly, CNS clock issues with multiple day diving on nitrox, without ever setting foot in "tech" territory.

I never said that I had a problem with the course or how it is presented. I see it as quite a progressive approach to dive training as it serves both rec and tec divers' needs quite nicely. From a tech diver's point of view, one should probably take Into to Tech first.

I still see "Decompression Procedures" as a great opportunity for rec divers to come to terms with the unknown horrors of "accidental" deco :)confused:) and maybe even more importantly, CNS clock issues with multiple day diving on nitrox, without ever setting foot in "tech" territory.

Personally, I think that a well-taught 'Deep Diver' course could (should!) present sufficient scope of material/training on the conduct of emergency (accidental) decompression. Technical training, whilst excellent, is over-kill for that limited purpose.

Even the PADI 'Deep Diver' course involved a dive with simulated emergency deco, along with theoretical knowledge development on decompression and DCS. There's no reason why a competent, motivated instructor couldn't use that as a method for delivering all of the information necessary to dispel any irrational fears and provide a clear blueprint for a recreational diver to both avoid unplanned deco and​ deal with that issue should it ever arise.

Yes, Deep Diver could be taught that way. TDI's "DP" is taught that way.

Quoting from the manual's intro:

"Technical Diving International has brought this course to the recreational diver in response to the demand and desire for more information. The Decompression Procedures course is available to two classes of divers. Recreational divers can take the course to develop new skills and understanding. Recreational-Technical divers take the course during the series of courses available through TDI. ...//..."

No, not overkill at all for the recreational diver that is pushing NDL's. I recommend that you obtain a copy of the manual to dispel any concerns that this instruction is "over-the-top".

(I'm beginning to sound like a salesperson for TDI, I'm not. I just happen to really like this highly unusual course that is available to recreational divers.)

Personally, that just looks like 'increasing market share" to me. A recreational diver could learn something applicable for rec diving from a CCR Trimix course, but it'd be silly.

A Deep course 'could', a DP course 'does' - is just an issue with course quality - an instructor/provider issue.

The real benefit to be identified, IMHO, is the ability of a tech-level instructor to impart a higher degree of knowledge on the subject of deco and DCS.

With the DP course, you get a tech-level instructor guaranteed (because it's a tech course). With the Deep course, you have to do 2 minutes of research online to find an instructor of that calibre to provide your training.

A question - is the TDI DP course applicable for single-tank divers? From what I remember (may be out of date) the AN course could be completed single-tank (with H or Y valve and 2x 1st stages or slung pony?), wheras the DP course was in doubles - full technical rig.

From that perspective, learning to conduct deco as per technical diving procedures, using full tech rig, is not much help for the recreational diver who strays into deco obligation with a single tank. There'll be a bunch of solutions that they cannot use...

If there was an electronic version of the manual 'floating around', I'd love to take a look. As it is, I spend far too much money on teaching materials :wink:

If there was an electronic version of the manual 'floating around', I'd love to take a look. As it is, I spend far too much money on teaching materials :wink:

Hey Andy, PDF sent by email, let me know if you get it, cheers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom