How much is too much?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tomboyy

Carnival ride inspector
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In another thread we're having a discussion about the perfect dive shop. This got me to thinking about prices. How much of a mark up are you willing to pay if your LDS doesn't have a web site and is strictly a brick and mortar shop ? I know some of you will say it depends on what your buying, regulator verses a light for example.

I'll give you a couple of real examples.

1st, 2nd and octo LDS price $ 788.00
WEB price $ 688.00

LED light LDS price $ 79.00
WEB price $ 51.00

On the light example sales tax and shipping are the same. I bought the Reg set from my LDS, after shipping the price difference was around $ 86.00 I thought the price difference wasn't enough to not get the benefits of buying from my LDS.

I think the price difference on the light was enough to buy on-line. I try to give my LDS all I can but sometimes their pricing is just to much. Is this pretty much the same way everywhere ?

Yes. This is the same everywhere. For me its not so much as supporting my shop as the service I get there. I don't know about yours, but with mine as soon as I grow out of a bcd or wetsuit or my reg is damaged they automatically replace it with only a 20 dollar fee. It seems like a deal to me :) I buy a few things off of the internet like hooks and lights because the replacement doesn't really apply.

Given the very high level of service I have always had at my LDS, I am happy to pay the usual price, which is essentially the list price + duty + shipping to Grand Cayman. Tropical diving is not (at least, it shouldn't be) gear intensive. For those few things I really need, I pay little attention to price. The important things are quality (of the gear) and quality (of the personal relationship with the LDS).

Back
Top Bottom