How much money do you really make as a Dive Pro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:rofl3:

Yep the rest of us are making millions of the back of all those "poor"divers.

Just relaxing in my penthouse jacuzi,over looking my new Ferrari,parked next to my Bently.
Drinking Campange,thanks to all the divers.:D

Your message is practically screaming that you need an assistant to help you shoulder that tremendous burden of work you are doing. Does the pay include moving/relocation costs to the Netherlands? And, do I get to drive your Ferrari when I run your errands? :rofl3::rofl3:

In MI I dreamed of being a dive instructor in the caribbean, and followed that dream. I became an instructor in 1980 and moved to St Thomas in 1981. Never been there, $1,000 in my pocket and no place to live. I had a job and that was it. I'm still here! have a place to live now but I don't have $1,000 in my pocket anymore. I love what I do, and when I take people diving it doesn't seem like work. Scuba instructors are the most underpaid, overworked professionals in the field and I have the up most respect for all of them. I do consider myself rich! in memories and experiences money cant buy. The tanks are getting heavier and I cant do 4 dives a day anymore without becoming completely exhausted, about 2 is my limit these days. One day I know my body will just say no to diving and I hope I listen to it. But until that day comes, Ill be underwater. Am I rich? not monetarily but there are many forms of rich.

I concider myself rich...
And I get to do what I love...
Yes I can do this for ever...
Yes I want to be here in the Red Sea doing this in 20 years...
Yes to all!

...a...

I met a DM on Margarita Island Venezuela, (Jorge) and he explained it best:

"everytime you drink a cup of caffeinated coffee you lose 1 minute of your life"...
"everytime you smoke a cigarette you lose 5 minutes of your life"...
"every day you spend at work you lose 8 HOURS of your life!"...

"Find a career you enjoy and you will never work a day in your life".

I met a DM on Margarita Island Venezuela, (Jorge) and he explained it best:

"everytime you drink a cup of caffeinated coffee you lose 1 minute of your life"...
"everytime you smoke a cigarette you lose 5 minutes of your life"...
"every day you spend at work you lose 8 HOURS of your life!"...

"Find a career you enjoy and you will never work a day in your life".
wish I've been to Venezuela 12 years ago! :shakehead:

I love the water....I love teaching....I love sharing....I get to do what I love...I consider myself rich.

Where the %*$%# is the puking smilie face?

Are you going to tell us what you actually make or is this thread just one more mystic experience?

.....cumbyah

I'm migrating to Oz from London (and leaving a very well paid job) & I'm seriously considering jacking in the rat-race having worked as a DM in Queensland years ago .... but I'm a bit worried that I'm putting my future (or future family) at risk by entering a profession that doesn't exactly pay well.

We're both of the opinion that you should be happy in your job, and she (a psychologist) is happy in hers, and could earn enough to support us both for a while. Obviously if there were more of us (we do hope to start a family soon), this might not be very practical.

I'm torn between biting the bullet and just grinding out for a few more years in a suit, or doing as much as I can to make myself a very marketable Instructor and getting a solid job.

What's a typical instructor's salary?

Back
Top Bottom