How Much More Would You Pay for Nitrox?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not judging other people on what they get off on, but personally I don't think gluing a condom (OK, condom catheter) to my privates would be very close to what I consider "having a good time". :)

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it :wink:

I guess you're not diving single Al80s, then. Doubles? Or are you talking about multiple dives?

AL80 or my twin 50s for this particular wreck, I have the SAC rate of an ant according to my Tech instructor.

Actually I dived a wreck at 30M yesterday with my twin 50s 200 bar fill, and surfaced with 100 bar after 46 mins. I have dived this wreck frequently using an AL80 before I had the twin 50s set up.

I had a nice 16M dive later using an S63 200 bar fill for 64 mins finishing with 60 bar. The most annoying thing is that my daughter has better gas consumption than me

---------- Post added November 22nd, 2014 at 11:30 AM ----------

Don't knock it 'til you've tried it :wink:

Perhaps wearing adult diapers is an alternative, I have heard that some rebreather guys use this system for long dives.

Perhaps wearing adult diapers is an alternative

Not for me. I'm more of the vanilla type.

Which reminds me of the joke: What do divers and drag artists have in common? They're the only males who have no problems saying "hey, buddy, can you help me with the zipper?"

But to get somewhat serious again: here in DS country, pee valves are considered almost only for tec divers with long deco schedules. The rec DS divers I know are able to hold it for the standard run time of three-quarters of an hour to an hour or so. By that time gas reserves and the water temp are getting to be an issue, too. There's actually a nice symmetry there :)

--
Sent from my Android phone
Typos are a feature, not a bug

Not for me. I'm more of the vanilla type.

Which reminds me of the joke: What do divers and drag artists have in common? They're the only males who have no problems saying "hey, buddy, can you help me with the zipper?"

But to get somewhat serious again: here in DS country, pee valves are considered almost only for tec divers with long deco schedules. The rec DS divers I know are able to hold it for the standard run time of three-quarters of an hour to an hour or so. By that time gas reserves and the water temp are getting to be an issue, too.

Depends on the dive profile, I suppose. When I go to MX I can sometimes do 2-hour long dives and not go into deco. But that gets back to the point of this thread, which is the benefit of nitrox. Here at home I opted not to put a P-valve in my current drysuit. I've used them before, back when I was doing a lot of tech diving with long deco schedules, but I don't do that much of those kinds of dives anymore. And even at my age I'm still good for a 70-80 minute dive in cold water before the call of nature forces me to end my dive.

The biggest drawback for me wasn't the glue on the condom catheter ... you get used to that. But if you kink the hose you won't know it until you try to use it ... and then you're setting yourself up for a nice urinary tract infection. That happened to me twice ... and the second time it put me in the emergency room for a completely different type of catheter. It so ain't worth it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Depends on the dive profile, I suppose. When I go to MX I can sometimes do 2-hour long dives and not go into deco. But that gets back to the point of this thread, which is the benefit of nitrox. Here at home I opted not to put a P-valve in my current drysuit. I've used them before, back when I was doing a lot of tech diving with long deco schedules, but I don't do that much of those kinds of dives anymore. And even at my age I'm still good for a 70-80 minute dive in cold water before the call of nature forces me to end my dive.

The biggest drawback for me wasn't the glue on the condom catheter ... you get used to that. But if you kink the hose you won't know it until you try to use it ... and then you're setting yourself up for a nice urinary tract infection. That happened to me twice ... and the second time it put me in the emergency room for a completely different type of catheter. It so ain't worth it.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for that insight Bob, last thing I need is a UTI.

Personally if I have a pee between dives, I am good for 90 mins each dive, and so back to Nitrox, good long dives are fine whether in a wet/semi-dry/drysuit.

Yesterday my instabuddy was on air and I had EAN32 on a 30M wreck. Fortunately he is an experienced CMAS qualified diver and managed his dive accordingly although he did leave me temporarily ascending slightly earlier. I offered him my EAN50 deco bottle but he was happy to stay on air, and I was happy to hang around while he did his deco obligation at 6M.

I use nitrow when I do not have to pay for it. This is the case in a lot og places on the red sea

Back
Top Bottom