How Much to Budget for Training and Equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

?under 5 for training & another ?thousand for equipment--if you buy used(& there are some good deals & closeouts out there).....

Last edited:
It's well worth perusing at least the first couple of pages of THIS thread, which will give you an idea of how open water classes can differ.

The OP says he rather wait to get high quality training -- well, I agree with those that believe that is where he should start.

This IS a case where "It is the instructor" that makes the course. So what should he look for in an instructor?

a. What is the instructor's training? Is it broad based (different agencies, different trainers, different types of diving) or narrow based (same agency, few trainers, just recreational diving)? I'm a huge believer that the broad based instructor has a far greater potential for a much better class.

b. What is the OP's goal? Does he think he just wants to look at the pretty fishies or does he think he wants to dive on a regular basis doing different types of diving?

The training is what is important -- not the gear -- and I can absolutely guarantee you that there is a BIG difference in training at all levels and perhaps especially at the beginner, OW/AOW, level. That is where the real training needs to be done.

Hi Brett and welcome to the board-

I'll run down what I've spent, I'm a noob too. I bought with an eye to frugality and quality.

OW training - $300
OW checkouts - $190
BCD - $450 (new)
regs - $520 (1st/2nd + octo via online retailer)
mask - $95 (local shop)
fins/snorkel - $100 (local shop)
bag - $60 (hockey bag at sorts authority)
computer - $290 (nitek duo via online retailer)
ems shears - $7 each (online)
Caribbean wetsuit - $250 ( local shop)
pony bottle - $180 (local shop)

it adds up but you can find decent prices on excellent gear if you poke around. Renting different gear gave me a chance to do some intelligent comparison shopping too.

..... What advice would you guys have for a beginner? .....
Pick a dive shop (or private instructor) and do OW with them / their rental gear .... then ... pick a DIFFERENT dive shop (or private instructor) and do AOW (with their rental gear).... then pick a third DIFFERENT dive shop (or private instructor) and do a drysuit specialty class (with their rental gear).

After this you would have been exposed to different type of gear .... and you might have an idea of what you would like / need to buy.
In the process you might also meet fellow divers and members of dive clubs.

If you REALLY want to buy something right away .... buy a mask :D

Alberto (aka eDiver)

You won't be far off if you budget $2500 or so for equipment and $500 or so for OW training. But training doesn't stop with OW so you should probably throw in another $500 for AOW and Rescue (probably combined cost). If you want to opt for the drysuit approach (highly recommended although out of my league) another $3000 should cover it.

But all you need for OW is about $1000 for personal gear and training, probably a little less. You can decide later whether to spend the big bucks. You can usually rent gear if you don't think about who else peed in the wetsuit and who upchucked in the regulator.

This is an expensive sport. It is probably better to avoid thinking about the costs. In this example, ignorance really is bliss.

Richard

vondo:
Duane (ppo2_diver) was only planning on teaching one OW class this year and I don't know if he's even doing that.

I talked to Duane last night, and he is teaching several OW classes, and will schedule them as people request them. He would be a very good choice in the Chicago area.

I haven't taken a class from Duane....but I've talked to him lots and would recommend him as well....

You can check out his site at www.precisiondiving.net.

Back
Top Bottom