How practical is it to travel with a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jd950

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As tempting as it is to make a humorous post out of that title, I actually do have a serious question.

For someone who will be diving in the Caribbean, and maybe the South Pacific, and getting there from the continental USA by air, is it practical to travel with a pony due to airline baggage restrictions? Do weight and size restrictions make this unreasonable?

I should add that on a recent trip, the 50lb limit was strictly enforced and had I exceeded it the price was something like $20.00 for the first few pounds and $50.00 for the next several. They also strictly enforced the one-checked-bag, one carryon limit. With gear, cameras and the usual traveling stuff, it was close.

If practical at all, how relatively difficult or easy is it to carry a 6, 13 or 19 cf tank?

What kind of dives do you forsee doing in the Carribean / South Pacific that would require a pony?

Unless you're diving solo or very deep, I don't see the need.

Travelling with a cylinder will be a big pain in the butt, and I can't see how you'll justify it if you're doing relatively easy recreational dives in some of the calmer water in the world.

-B

Doc:

I hopefully would never need it. I believe most warm water "recreational" divers don't use them. Sometimes I think about it, though. I wouldn't take it unless I intended to use it.

Occasionally I read some story about someone whose "instabuddy" takes off or is otherwise hopeless, leaving you with no backup air source and I wonder then if carrying an extra air source would be wise. Maybe not, I have read the differing opinions on this and am not yet sure of my conclusion.

I didn't want to start up the whole pony argument, and was just curious if those who have traveled with the things have found that one size travels "well" and others don't, etc. I specifically avoided the whole issue of what size is adequate or if they are even a good idea. I have read those threads, and that information will factor into whatever decision I might make in the future, but didn't find much about traveling with them.

You are right about "cost vs. utility" but life is full of compromises and this might be one. Perhaps my question is silly, and I'll regret even asking, but I thought perhaps some folks had gone down this path and had first-hand information and insight about the ease of traveling with these smaller cylinders.

The point of your comments is well-taken.

Edited to add: I realize that my plans for relatively shallow and unchallenging diving would not seem to suggest that redundant air is even necessary. I know about the argument that good air management skills should make them unnecessary, the low rate of gauge failures, first stage failures, etc. I am just curious about the ease of travel with these things for those that do believe in them.

A 6 cu ft pony is only about 3 lbs, a 13 cu ft is about 6 lbs, a 19 cu ft is only about 9 lbs.

It is well feasible to carry a pony. As I recalled, some airline charge you a bundle to check in a pony. But if you carried it on, there is no charge. You just have to have the valve off so TSA can clear you.

It is probably better to find an airline that does not charge you for checking in a pony... A separate thread talked about which one those are, and I can't remember which thread it was in.

Instabuddies can not be trusted. Nor is rental gear, etc. You might want to call ahead and see if they will rent you a pony for the week.

Yes Skull and remove the valve. I have just traveled once with a pony when I brought one here to the Philippines. No problem at all. They did open the bag it was in and look at it but that's it. The weight is the only concern but if you want to use one, as has been posted, definitely bring it.

jd950, not a silly question at all.

I'm one of those oddities that travels with a pony and roatanman pretty much summed it up. I used to travel with a 19cf, but switched to a 13cf to save some weight. Aside from the weight, traveling with a pony is not really hassle and as long as you take the valve off and tell TSA about it, you shouldnt have any problems. Hope this helps.

As a techie and a person who dives a HOG setup I am more than happy to rent, or borrow an aluminum 80 anytime of the day during a vacation. A 6, or 13 is only marginal backup in my mind.

All I ever need to bring on a trip is a stage setup and that weighs nothing at all. Seriously, having packed 19's, 13's before they are a pain and gobble up precious luggage space as well as adding to overage charges.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom