How practical is it to travel with a pony?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 2002, I took my al30 pony to Bonaire to dive solo for two weeks, since my wife only snorkels.

I managed to keep the checked bag just under 50 lbs by putting some of the heavy items in my carry-on. The carry-on had the tank valve, two regulators, Ikelite camera housing, etc.

My checked bag had enough room for the pony, Highland band, wetsuit, bcd, mask, fins and clothes, etc.

Not being a "slave to fashion" definitely helped.... :)

Dave C

Even if you do carry it you wont be able to get it filled in lots of countries due to differing standards.

For example you cannot get a US certified tank filled in Europe or a european stamped tank filled in the USA and so on. There is no worldwide standard for cylinder test conformity.
Thats worth bearing in mind if contemplating travel with one.

the Plate and regs should be relatively easy to travel with. The pain would be the cylinder. I'd look more into renting a pony cylinder at your destination (due to different testing rec's mentioned above). I don't know how many places do (I'm sure if you ask nicely they can find one and quote you a price), but I think unless you're doing extended trips itd be cheaper to rent than take your own. And if you're staying for quite some time (many months/year) look at buying one at destination then selling when you're leaving. I believe Cyliders hold their value pretty well.

Diver Dennis:
Yes Skull and remove the valve. I have just traveled once with a pony when I brought one here to the Philippines. No problem at all. They did open the bag it was in and look at it but that's it. The weight is the only concern but if you want to use one, as has been posted, definitely bring it.

jd950, not a silly question at all.

I agree. At 6 pounds (for Luxfer 13 cuft) and 8.1 pounds (for Luxfer 19 cu ft), I think their weight and bulk are manageable (considering the life-saving function they do) for warm weather tropical dive trips, where one doesn't have to bring too much clothing. Don't forget to remove the valve to show it isn't pressurized (you can put a plastic cap ont he bottle to prevent stuff from getting in) The only exception may be if you're bringing heavy photographic equipment as well.
Dive safely.

I would prefer to travel with a pony bottle for my Cruise Ship trip dives but I have no way of knowing how often I'd have to remove the valve and have the tank refilled, whether or not a shop would require a vip, etc. There is little to no time on these kind of "shore excursions" to discuss this with an operator. I have considered trying to sling an 80.
I use a bp and hog harness. Maybe I'll give it a try and see if it's any more awkward than slinging a 30cf.

EVERY dive of the six I did on my recent tropical trip, from St. Thomas to Bonaire to Aruba was ultimately "solo".
Pick up vacation divers are mostly worthless as redundancy.
I was alone down there except for the DM so I tried to hang with him as much as possible. My buddy was an instructor I'd met on the ship but he was veryl definitely into solo diving once we did the giant stride.

If you are traveling to and staying in one place to do your diving, I think bringing a pony and maybe having to do one vip for the whole trip could be worthwhile.

I took my ponies with on our trip to Cancun and Cozumel this past month.
I had 2 carry on bags with me for the trip.
I carried (2) - 13cu ft. ponies in my flight bump bag along with some clothing, and 4 regs and 2 lights 2 masks, and 2 computers in the regulator bag. (These 2 bags came to 68 lbs total ) It was tough to walk thru airports with an extra 68 lbs on my back, let alone customs.
I carried the equipment for myself and my daughter/ dive buddy.
This summer we are going out east, and I will again be bringing the ponies with.
I would rather carry them and not need them rather than not have them and need them.
Jim breslin

jd950:
Doc:

I hopefully would never need it. I believe most warm water "recreational" divers don't use them. Sometimes I think about it, though. I wouldn't take it unless I intended to use it.

Occasionally I read some story about someone whose "instabuddy" takes off or is otherwise hopeless, leaving you with no backup air source and I wonder then if carrying an extra air source would be wise. Maybe not, I have read the differing opinions on this and am not yet sure of my conclusion.

I didn't want to start up the whole pony argument, and was just curious if those who have traveled with the things have found that one size travels "well" and others don't, etc. I specifically avoided the whole issue of what size is adequate or if they are even a good idea. I have read those threads, and that information will factor into whatever decision I might make in the future, but didn't find much about traveling with them.

You are right about "cost vs. utility" but life is full of compromises and this might be one. Perhaps my question is silly, and I'll regret even asking, but I thought perhaps some folks had gone down this path and had first-hand information and insight about the ease of traveling with these smaller cylinders.

The point of your comments is well-taken.

Edited to add: I realize that my plans for relatively shallow and unchallenging diving would not seem to suggest that redundant air is even necessary. I know about the argument that good air management skills should make them unnecessary, the low rate of gauge failures, first stage failures, etc. I am just curious about the ease of travel with these things for those that do believe in them.

For some reason, the word CESA pops into my head.....I'm betting you will never use it(for the diving you're describing)...I would leave it @ home & never look back....Enjoy the dives, it's what diving is all about.....IMO....

I'm heading to Ventura in July and will be diving while I'm out there. I'm going to be on an open boat so I have no way of knowing the skill level of my buddy. I sling a 30 so I don't really want to check it or carry it on due to the weight. I'm seriously considering shipping it to my brother-in-law, who we're visiting, a couple of weeks ahead of time and then shipping it back before we leave. Thoughts?

If you are within recreational limits, you can easily do a CESA from 130 feet in the unlikely event you get to that point.
I have in the past carried on a 13 cf bottle, with the valve off without any problems. If you are going to go that route, if I where you I would print out the TSA page that shows you are allowed to take one with you, or else you stand a chance of some "officer" not letting you take it.

By the time a person cranks in the 50# weight limit, some airlines new carry-on weight limits, the costs of overweight/extra bags, problems getting the thing filled at destination, etc I decided not to do the pony thing. Too much of a pain.

Really a "pony" is actually a double that is smaller than the primary tank. So, why not just use two tanks of the same size? what I've done is bought the brackets and gear to just either sling a second 80, or mount it on my back as a second tank. Whether a slung double, or back mounted independent double; the whole thing is a piece of cake.

When I get there I either rent an 80. Or, if it is a deep-shallow dive just take both tanks on both dives.

I hasten to add this does not substitute for manifolded doubles. What it is is a better idea for the traveling diver who feels a need for a "pony".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom