How random is random testing?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captjuan

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the criteria the APCA uses to "randomly" test Captains? I am on my second renewal without any past problems at all and I still get hit at least once a year. All the other Captains in the area might get hit once every 3-4 years if at all. Even though it doesn't cost anything it is still very annoying to have to be tested all the time.

CJ

Attachments

• oriskany001.jpg
    oriskany001.jpg
    423.6 KB · Views: 57
Random means exactly that. I am usually tested 1-2 times per year , but I was tested 3 times one year. It is a hassle as I have to drive 50 miles roundtrip to get it done. BUT, that happens.

Some older "random" numbers generators (like in the early 1990s) were anything but random. MSExcel was famous for pulling the same numbers over and over. It was a function of a poorly written software algorithm and the weak computing powers of the time. It not impossible that their software is less than truly random. Short of joining another program you are stuck with the consequences though.

Some older "random" numbers generators (like in the early 1990s) were anything but random. MSExcel was famous for pulling the same numbers over and over. It was a function of a poorly written software algorithm and the weak computing powers of the time. It not impossible that their software is less than truly random. Short of joining another program you are stuck with the consequences though.
Thanks RJ thats what I was looking for.
CJ

What is the process when you have an occassional crew member that is enrolled in your program that is called for a test? Lets say this crew member may or may not be in town at the moment. I have a couple of back up mates that crew when my first team needs a break or has to miss work.

What is the process when you have an occassional crew member that is enrolled in your program that is called for a test? Lets say this crew member may or may not be in town at the moment. I have a couple of back up mates that crew when my first team needs a break or has to miss work.

With the Maritime Consortium program the employer may withhold the test notification from the employee until they are in a position to be tested witin 24 hours. It may be held up to a week. If longer an excuse form is to be filled out. The employee is not to be informed of the upcoming test. (2005 resource)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom