How should I seal a .38 for powerhead?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I personally use it for one of two things depending on the dive.

I might use it for self defense if I feel threatened by a shark or other predator. Or, I might use it for obtaining dinner.

Powerheads are illegal because of the misuse by others to commercially fish with them.

I believe our waters are plentiful and that the use of a powerhead to hammer a big fish for my personal dinner use is plenty of justification for the personal use of one regardless the local (illegitimate) law. Besides, it's a good way to bag a game fish without maming it and having it wander off somewhere as a wounded cripple. The hole is not too different from a spear and I have never been challenged about that.

I use it with discretion and have a good time. I don't "over do it." :crafty:

Poaching is a good way to get your gear confiscated, a hefty fine, and possible jail time. Whatever your feelings about the laws, they are laws and not suggestions.

If you really feel that you need to use a PPD to hunt, I'd suggest trying to get the laws changed.

This sort of behavior really reflects negatively on spearfisherman. You claim that PPDs are illegal for hunting because of misuse, and yet you flaunt the laws regarding the use of them.

Are you trying to get spearfishing banned? Behavior like this is a good way for that to happen.

Gamecock:
I personally use it for one of two things depending on the dive.

I might use it for self defense if I feel threatened by a shark or other predator. Or, I might use it for obtaining dinner.

Powerheads are illegal because of the misuse by others to commercially fish with them.

I believe our waters are plentiful and that the use of a powerhead to hammer a big fish for my personal dinner use is plenty of justification for the personal use of one regardless the local (illegitimate) law. Besides, it's a good way to bag a game fish without maming it and having it wander off somewhere as a wounded cripple. The hole is not too different from a spear and I have never been challenged about that.

I use it with discretion and have a good time. I don't "over do it." :crafty:

I have to agree. You aren't doing us any favors.

If you're going to poach, I'd also recommend that you don't publicly discuss it on a web site. Never know, the owners might just take a dim view & pass your info on the the game & fish types to see if they have any interest in curtailing your activities.

I agree with all of y'all 100%. I have not used my PH in over a year.
However, I might use it to bag dinner sometime in the future. :crafty:
I still use my sharp tri-point with very good results & keep my PH in my BC.
I'll let you know what my therapist and I achieve later this year.

Ya know, PH's are legal for hunting game fish in federal waters. It's FL state law that prohibits using them for taking fish other than for defensive purposes.

3 miles off the east coast, 9 off the gulf, I think are where federal waters start. If you do use them to take game in federal waters, on the way back in you can't stop in state waters, you must stay under way to the dock.

Im sorry , To me logic dictates that somone knows what goes in a bang stick , let alone somone who spear fishes ,, or has read any thread in this section.

I guess im just a mean rotten negative person. BTW ,, i was born that wat then i had a relapse

BadLatitude:
Im sorry , To me logic dictates that somone knows what goes in a bang stick , let alone somone who spear fishes ,, or has read any thread in this section.

I guess im just a mean rotten negative person. BTW ,, i was born that wat then i had a relapse

Well if you'd taken the time to check you'd have found I don't live in Florida. We don't have any dangerous critters around when we dive, and we don't consider it very normal to keep a .38 for any other purpose than for using it on the shooting range. -Which by the way leads me to tell you I thought you regularly brought your S&W .38 with you when diving! :D

And for 2.nd by the way, I'm a handgun instructor + an eager spear fisher, but I don't combine these two hobbies! :crafty:

Lt_Johansen.jpg

Me....

Steinbit01.jpg

Me again...

:D :D :D

sorry I guess growing up watching diving and shark research shows on tv and seeing bang sticks in use on shows on tv as a kid I just always knew what they were.

That brings up a new point. Why on earth do they re run the same shows for the last 2 years shark week , add in some rediculas show about a fictional movie and not air any of the old classic shark programs like when the Newzeland or Aus ( dont remember what they were) tested the original chainmail suit or when Custo* < sp and his crew did shark research ect. Shark week this year was such a joke watching the 2 in one of my tanks was much more interesting and informative.

It's basically a chamber for a live round of ammuntion. If it's mounted on a stick it's called a bangstick. If it's used on the end of a spear it's called a powerhead.

On impact, the round ignites, blowing the hit gasses through the fish. The gasses do most of the damage.

They're available in a wide range of calibers commercially and can be made for any caliber. Common ones are 223, 30-30, 30-06, 38/357, 44 mag, 20 and 12 gauge shotshell. I've also seen them made in 7mm mag & even one in 50BMG, though I'm not sure if that one is more dangerous to the fish or the person using it.

I have a PH in 30-06 mounted under the barrel of my gun. I'f I need to use it I simply slip it on the spear tip which serves as the firing pin and shoot it into the shark.

Back
Top Bottom