how to achieve better buoyancy control?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rufous

Registered
Reaction score
I am having difficulty with my buoyancy control. Please help me with general things to look for. I have only done 13 dives so far (4 in 1983, 3 in 2000 and 6 in 2004). Thanks, Rufous.

Michael Schlink:
Dive More, A lot more-

Michael ,this poster has 6 dives done this year,has asked an honest question and this is your response ? Pity we were not"all"born breathing compressed air eh ? ? Where would this board be................

Sorry I was trying to be short and to the point. Not mean-In that he first dove 11 years ago and then 2-3 years ago and now again for a few dives the single most important thing he/you need to do is dive more consistently. I could reccomend additional training but that would be a waste of time and money if he doesn't dive more. Two choices dive more or get with an instructor to help you with your trim, weighting etc.-Sorry for being short, please forgive me-M

Yeah, and he's been certified for at least 11 years, just slightly over 1 dive/year. Buoyancy takes practice or work with a good instructor. Without knowing anything about his equipment or diving we can't help much. There is no cure-all for poor buoyancy just as we all aren't awesome divers right outta the gate.

Ben

And to add, when I first started diving my biggest problem was bouyancy. I was usually sinking or floating. Practice and diving cured it. I do agree with most that the type of BCD and weighting system will have an impact on your bouyancy and trim but diving, the best way to practice, will help more than anything.-Dive Safe

It's important to understand the phisical principals of weight, balance and buoyancy and how body position and equipment configuration effect those things.
Diving more may help but often it's just practicing doing things in an ineffective way and yields little progress.

There have been many detailed posts on the board on the subject and it will save some folks a lot of typing if you could do some searches and find them.

If you can't find them speak up and well see if we can help.

MikeFerrara:
...Diving more may help but often it's just practicing doing things in an ineffective way and yields little progress.

One of my fav sayings:

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect..."

You don't know what you don't know, and without some honest self evaluation and some help from experienced divers, it takes longer to get there as you may keep practicing mistakes.

OR as SeaJay once said: "Listen to the guy that hovers...."

Right on Mike.

K

Well rufous hasn't returned... but in case he/she does:

rufous the questions in both this thread and your other thread on air consumption share the same answer... the solutions are intertwined.

It will not happen without ongoing diving but just more diving will not in and of itself is be the solution.

The solution to buoyancy control is breathing control and the solution to breathing control is buoyancy control. They either fight one another or they work together.

Back
Top Bottom