Question How to assess an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cheizz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
In almost any discussion about choices about agencies and instructors, a major conclusion seems to be: get to know the instructor and assess whether (s)he is going to be a good instructor for you and your needs.

That is all marvelous, but how should you go about that exactly? How can you find out if an instructor is a match without enrolling in the course and experiencing their teaching style first-hand? And what about their credentials, experience, etc.?

In other words: what questions should you ask before enrolling in a course? I imagine these questions are different for someone looking to start an OW course than for someone who's looking to do other courses further down the line.

I am sure we can compile a concrete list that prospect divers can use to assess the instructors they could end up choosing.

Yeah, I think that in most situations you nailed it with "that's all marvelous, but...". It's great in theory, but

It's not likely that you're going to go to a dive shop and interview ALL the instructors that work there. Before signing up you'll probably have some discussion with one of them...maybe two if they're hanging out behind the counter together....
Pretty much you'll sign up for a class based on calendar and which dates work.... and it'll be luck of the draw regarding which instructor is assigned to that class.

I recon about the best you can do for assessing and instructor before signing up for the class is to ask questions. Ask them to walk through the class agenda.....how will it work regarding pool sessions, classroom sessions, open water dives. Ask for a tour, ask questions about any specific concerns you have, etc.... Through conversation you can pretty quickly get a read on what sort of person they are and if you 'like' them or not.

In other words: what questions should you ask before enrolling in a course? I imagine these questions are different for someone looking to start an OW course than for someone who's looking to do other courses further down the line.
The book "The Six Skills and Other Discussions: creative solutions for technical divers" by Steve Lewis has a list of 10 questions. You should be able to find that. I have seen similar lists in SB threads. They're all pretty similar. Things like what kind of diving the instructor does apart from teaching. How long they have been diving, and in particular, doing the kinds of dives your goal is to do, is another common one.

edit: Interviewing an instructor for the basic OW course should be simpler, and the questions you mention about the agenda and the mechanics of how the course will work are good. Still, one might want to know how long the instructor has been teaching and how often they are diving apart from teaching.

It’s impractical in many cases. Some divers won’t have a much of a choice for instructors. Maybe the local dive shop only has one or two instructors on staff and you take whoever you get for OW. Doing OW at a vacation destination? People are probably going to go by reviews or word or mouth for the dive op.

This intention of investigating an OW instructor like you would a tech instructor makes me laugh. Probably not going to happen for the majority of divers, if they even care.

It’s impractical in many cases. Some divers won’t have a much of a choice for instructors. Maybe the local dive shop only has one or two instructors on staff and you take whoever you get for OW. Doing OW at a vacation destination? People are probably going to go by reviews or word or mouth for the dive op.

This intention of investigating an OW instructor like you would a tech instructor makes me laugh. Probably not going to happen for the majority of divers, if they even care.
Exactly what I thought. However, the suggestion of "talking to them, then you'll know" keeps popping up here on Scubaboard. Hence this thread.

For more advanced diving courses, I am sure a diver can research a bit and get some questions. But if you're completely new at diving, you simply don't know what you don't know (or even what's important to know) about the instructor, the program, etc.

i encourage people to visit local dive shops (or shop depending on where you are) and ask to speak with several instructors. And check in with the local or regional dive clubs and/or Facebook groups and ask about instructors.
Picking an instructor that can help you reach whatever goals you have is important to. For example, i'm a fantastic instructor :cool:but i'm not a cave guy. If caves are where you want to go, then i'll send you to someone else.

But if you're completely new at diving, you simply don't know what you don't know (or even what's important to know) about the instructor, the program, etc.
And they probably wouldn't know to look on ScubaBoard either unless they do a lot of Googling and perchance to come across SB.

Most people are going to find some place locally and make a phone call or hopefully be guided by experienced peers.

And they probably wouldn't know to look on ScubaBoard either unless they do a lot of Googling and perchance to come across SB.
But if you google stuff, Scubaboard comes up often enough. With a list on this forum at least it can be found (by those who do a search online).

But if you google stuff, Scubaboard comes up often enough. With a list on this forum at least it can be found (by those who do a search online).
But is that going to catch anyone to visit SB?

I Googled where I used to live in Scotland and found some dive training places etc., on the first page and nothing about SB.

Similar results for Googling my current location, so I probably wouldn't search anything apart from "local" dive centres.

Scuba diving is not such a simple sport to enter really, more so I guess in the UK and Europe compared to warmer tropical climes, where at least there's colourful fish and warm water.

First, I would ask around and get some idea who might be a good instructor. Then I would ask that instructor to give me a private, paid lesson in the water to see if we were good together. If good, sign up for whatever course with him/her that you want to take.

Back
Top Bottom