Question How to assess an instructor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This might not work in all locations, but many shops will do some sort of Try SCUBA class and deduct the cost off the Open Water class if you decide to proceed. This allows you to interact with the instructor in a teaching environment and assess the quality of the shops training gear. Not a perfect solution, but you will quickly know if the instructor is just pushing numbers or if they have a passion for teaching, and the patience required to train you as a safe, competent, independent diver.

This might not work in all locations, but many shops will do some sort of Try SCUBA class and deduct the cost off the Open Water class if you decide to proceed.
A prospective OW student should also be aware that some shops have several instructors, and unless you make clear arrangements with the shop and the instructor, the shop could try to switch instructors on you when you later go to sign up for the OW class--or even worse, when you show up for the first class. Instructors who work for a shop may have limited ability to choose their students.

Independent instructors (not affiliated with a shop) are more difficult to find, but perhaps worth the effort if one is adamant about working with a particular instructor.

In almost any discussion about choices about agencies and instructors, a major conclusion seems to be: get to know the instructor and assess whether (s)he is going to be a good instructor for you and your needs.

That is all marvelous, but how should you go about that exactly? How can you find out if an instructor is a match without enrolling in the course and experiencing their teaching style first-hand? And what about their credentials, experience, etc.?

In other words: what questions should you ask before enrolling in a course? I imagine these questions are different for someone looking to start an OW course than for someone who's looking to do other courses further down the line.

I am sure we can compile a concrete list that prospect divers can use to assess the instructors they could end up choosing.
I have a list of 21 questions in my first book and another 20 for the shop. Interview them like you would any employee. That's what they are. You are hiring them to train you. So you are employing them and have every right to ask them any question you like before giving them a penny.
"SCUBA: A Practical Guide for the New Diver" is available in print on Amazon and on Kindle in e-book format.
There are 11 additional questions when looking for an Advanced Level Instructor in my second work. "SCUBA: A Practical Guide to Advanced Level Training" because you want to see if they are actually doing advanced dives and not just have a card that says they can teach more.
I have tried before to copy and paste them, but it's too long of a post for SB because each question has sample answers you want to look for.

Yeah, I think that in most situations you nailed it with "that's all marvelous, but...". It's great in theory, but

It's not likely that you're going to go to a dive shop and interview ALL the instructors that work there. Before signing up you'll probably have some discussion with one of them...maybe two if they're hanging out behind the counter together....
Pretty much you'll sign up for a class based on calendar and which dates work.... and it'll be luck of the draw regarding which instructor is assigned to that class.

I recon about the best you can do for assessing and instructor before signing up for the class is to ask questions. Ask them to walk through the class agenda.....how will it work regarding pool sessions, classroom sessions, open water dives. Ask for a tour, ask questions about any specific concerns you have, etc.... Through conversation you can pretty quickly get a read on what sort of person they are and if you 'like' them or not.
Yeah, that's about it. I think most people who know nothing at all about scuba will simply go to a shop, sign up and get whichever instructor does the course when you sign up to do it. That's what I did.
I do think that being experienced with water activities probably means it won't matter too much who you get. That's pet peeve of mine as I'm sure many here know. If you're not "water experienced" it's best to get some first, then what type of instructor you get shouldn't be a biggee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom