How To Combat Seasickness?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bejeweled

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!

In two weeks I will be returning to the beautiful Utila to begin my divemaster training! :D But if I'm going to be doing my DMT, I really need to figure out a way to get rid of my seasickness! I don't feel sick on large boats, but the diveshop I'll be returning to has a very tiny dive boat and if there are large waves I feel pretty queezy if I'm on it for a while or moving about a lot. Dramamine makes me sleepy and fresh lime doesn't seem to help too much. I've heard that magnet bracelets really help some people.

In short: How do you overcome seasickness? :confused: What has worked for you? Please post any tips or suggestions!

Thanks a lot!

this'd be great info.. i've been on about 10+ dive boat trips, and every time i try it drug free i end up queezy, if not vomiting over the edge. Hasn't stopped me yet... but it'd be nice to not have to drug up to not feel sick.

Find the nearest tree and sit next to it. :)
The best way I've found is to not eat anything until you're back at the dock, including anything before boarding the boat. Stay on the deck as much as possible and look around the ocean. Don't go below nor try to read.

Hello!

In two weeks I will be returning to the beautiful Utila to begin my divemaster training! :D But if I'm going to be doing my DMT, I really need to figure out a way to get rid of my seasickness! I don't feel sick on large boats, but the dive shop I'll be returning to has a very tiny dive boat and if there are large waves I feel pretty queasy if I'm on it for a while or moving about a lot. Dramamine makes me sleepy and fresh lime doesn't seem to help too much. I've heard that magnet bracelets really help some people.

In short: How do you overcome seasickness? :confused: What has worked for you? Please post any tips or suggestions!

Thanks a lot!

I use Meclizine (generic version of Bonine). I take one tablet the night before and another one hour before leaving on the boat. I also take a ginger capsule at breakfast.

This works well and I have not been seasick since I started taking this regimen. The other benefit of Meclizine is that it does not make you drowsy which often happens with Dramamine.

The other thing that helps is avoiding greasy food like bacon and sausage for breakfast.

The URL shown below points to the most recent ScubaBoard thread about sea sickness. For future reference you can find this type of information in the future by using the ScubaBoard search feature.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...iving/240666-difference-seasickness-meds.html

I had never had a problem with seasickness until this year. I don't know why, but since about February, everytime I got on a boat, I spent the whole trip feeding the fish! Really, really sucked. I tried Bonine, Dramimine, etc... Nothing worked.

Finally I went to my doctor had had her prescribe the little patch that goes behind the ear (don't remember the name). Works like a charm! Put it on first thing in the morning and I'm good to go (and I have been out on a couple of ROUGH days since I got the script).

Try it - you won't be disappointed.

Triptone works for me and I only get sleepy for about ten minutes. One half tablet works for me.

I don't have problems with motion sickness, but I do take meclizine just in case. Was on a dive trip recently with a woman who had a real problem with it, and had great success with the patch behind the ear. If it's a big problem, that sounds like the route to take. Good luck, and enjoy your DM training! Utila sounds like more fun than the lake here in AZ........

I use Meclizine (generic version of Bonine). I take one tablet the night before and another one hour before leaving on the boat. I also take a ginger capsule at breakfast.

This works well and I have not been seasick since I started taking this regimen. The other benefit of Meclizine is that it does not make you drowsy which often happens with Dramamine.

The other thing that helps is avoiding greasy food like bacon and sausage for breakfast.

The URL shown below points to the most recent ScubaBoard thread about sea sickness. For future reference you can find this type of information in the future by using the ScubaBoard search feature.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...iving/240666-difference-seasickness-meds.html

Thank you everyone for your responses so far!

I actually looked at the link you posted about the pills, but I started this thread in hopes of hearing about experiences with alternative solutions such as the magnet bracelets.

Drugs work for me, meclizine, 1/2 tab night before, other half in the morning. And as was mentioned, no greasy food. I usually eat a banana and a protein bar. Another banana during SI with some water and I'm good to go. For an alternative drug free method I have use ginger while sailing and it seemed to work. We kept a piece of ginger root in the refrigerator and would slice off a small piece and tuck it between cheek and gum. It was also mentioned to not read, don't go below deck and look at the horizon or anything solid far away form the boat.

Good luck.

but I started this thread in hopes of hearing about experiences with alternative solutions such as the magnet bracelets.

Keep the bracelets away from your compass. I think that ginger has a higher success rate in the alternative solutions category, but no personal experience on it. I'm going to give Scopace a try, again, hardly an alternative solution. You are supposed to be able to take it AFTER you start feeling queasy, unlike a scopolamine patch. The idea is to be able to keep them in my drybox. Just knowing that they are there should help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom